1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Is a TN monitor seem that really bad for what i want?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dangerman1337, 27 Sep 2010.

1. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I've got a dilemma, the monitor i'm getting next month with my new build and these is what i'm going to do mostly gaming first, Photoshop second (not for professional work) and watching Blu-ray films. I'm thinking of getting a 120hz monitor mainly because of the fludity and be able to see upto 120 fps on it, though i do want decent image quailty on it though (though i think the dell U2311H can do 83hz with the right hacks).

So can you bit-techers do any help :).

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well you've got to decide what's more important - colour or 120Hz. If it's the first I'd definitely go for a non-TN panel.

3. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I'd only get a TN panel if its purely for gaming & web browsing. I hate watching the occasional movie on my BenQ G2400W display, colours are all washed out and you can't make out any details in dark scenes.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

5. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Intresting but about 120hz i've heard that most 120hz based TVs produce "fake" 120hz so i've heard on the HardOCP forums.

Also about the other posts... Photoshop is secnodary but decent colour would be nice and i'm going to be holding out till OLEDs come about to a decent price (around 300 pounds hopefully) in 2013 to 2014 for a triple monitor setup because triple monitor setup is just WAY out of my price range.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't think OLED is ready as a technology.
    The problem with OLED is that making a 22/24 inch screen at the proper resolution (example: 24inch - 1920x1200), is very difficult and cost way to much for anyone to afford, mainly because there is a high percentage of device that end up being a failure. Also, brightness is an issue, and we know nothing about ghosting or input lag as it not really a topic of conversation among cellphones gamers. I mean heck, no one complained on the Sega GameGear and the first GameBoy the sever ghosting and refresh rate issue.

There is much work to be done on OLED displays.. I estimate 2018-2020 before we see affordable, and good OLED screens on the market.