1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

As the title says is it a premod or a mod.

2. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Adding something is just that, an addition. Like adding a fan, or LCD. Not a mod, (which is an improvement/alteration). To call adding a cathode a mod is like calling a sticker on your arm a tattoo. :blah:

3. preatorian

preatorian What's a Dremel?

putting a ccfl in your pc counts as a mod
    anyway, putting led's in it is way cooler ;)

4. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Adding a cold cathode is a mod to me.

A pre-mod is something that is excessivly stupid. (in my opinion)
    For example:
    -Rainbow colored anything
    -Anything that blinks like it's a toy for 2year old kids
    -Things that are fake (like the new LED ram sinks)
    -Cases that are excessivly pre-modded with molds, or themes.
    (Spiderman case, transformers looking case, the infinity car case)
    -Things that point superbright LEDs direclty into your eyes

5. Whisp[TR]

im just wondering because a cathode is a pre built device that you just place in your case.

you really havnt altered anything.

like changing out a fan for a led lit one.

that in my opinion isnt a mod but a premod because it was pre modified before you even layed hand on it.

6. xmario_sx

xmario_sx What's a Dremel?

So pretty much what you're trying to say that you don't like LEDs :D how about a UV reactive ram sinks or uv fans or uv on the whole mobo... sorry i'm just giving away my ideas for my new project... to be continued. :dremel:

7. preatorian

preatorian What's a Dremel?

wink to the diffrence between rice and ice @ car-modding ^^

8. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Obviously a mod, your puttign somethign in the case that wasnt there before and that it isnt intended to house. Admittedly its not much of a mod but its still a mod, im starting to notice a spark of eliteism showing itself recently and it needs to be extinguished. Just because a mod isnt big or it looks like someone elses mod doesnt mean its not a mod. A premod is a case bought with the mods already in place,, as far as im concerned, and for the moment at least anyone who adds or replaces anything I would considder to have done a mod otherwise where does it stop, who will decide whats good enough to be a mod.

9. Whisp[TR]

have to admit though those new led ram heat sinks are pretty ghetto.

The corsair on the other hand are nice.

but those ones you add and have to plug in is just cheesy.

that just my opinion though hehe

10. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

When I think of a mod...I think of dremels, holesaws, bondo, and paint, not a plug in light and double-sided tape. If someone gets a new heatsink strictly because it has a nice, shiny finish, is that a mod? It may look nicer, but anything that is a straight swap out or plug-in doesn't qualify, in my eyes. I'm not trying to hold "mod" up to some standard, BTW. I'd consider gluing a front bezel plate to a CD drive a mod, and swapping out the power/HDD activity lights as well.

11. Whisp[TR]

thast a good point.

The way I judge is if the person actually soldered, cut or did something it is a mod.

just plugging in an item they bought at the store is a premod.

but that is just the way I see it and as my poll is showing it is a devided topic and i appreciate the good replies and opinions.

12. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Its a mod if you had to put the window in to see it, or work on a way to attach it externally if that is how you have it.

If you just throw it into the case, velcro it to the bottom, and tape the inverter up somewhere, than not really.

13. coorz

coorz Miffed

In essence it's pre-mod. As the basic function of the CCFL tube is giving light. So you buy a CCFL and stick it in to have light, so pre-mod. In contrast to actually building your own lightsource (LED's etc) which is then a mod.
    /btw I have nothing against pre-mod stuff :thumb:

14. oshta

oshta Guest

to me a mod is somthink that envoles modifiying the case, no just adding cheap junk to it

- ie, a cathode/led/fan/Hsink/sticker/etc is not a mod (just like adding a HDD isnt)

- a window would count as a mod tho (if it was an "off-the-peg" premade side panel, maybe not)

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I agree with your premod bit, although I wouldn't consider adding a CCFL a mod. I'd call it part of one. It's not a premod either, but I wouldn't call a prewindowed case with an added CCFL modded really either. Modding takes sweat, cursing and (if your dremel skills suck) blood. :hehe: Well premod is really and mod done to a case before you buy it, flashy or not. A lot of those are just boring or crappy mods. I have to disagree about the rainbow bit though... like the thermaltake presleeved PSUs yeah those are bad, but I did a basically some of everything type of deal and it came out surprisingly well.

Heh superbright LEDs right at the eyes. Yeah those are annoying. Doesn't compare to me putting 6v through a red mouse LED (rated at around 2.5 I think) when I was staring right at it. Ouch. THAT was ultra bright.

16. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

bump.

To me, a mod is anything YOU did to customize a case that makes it different than it was originally designed to look or operate.

Pre-mod is coming from a factory with some things already done to it that are different than a standard box that holds your hardware.

and as for the elitism, at one point in time we were all new (or is that n00b?), and there were times when 99.9% of people would look at you weird for cutting a hole in a perfectly good case, much less put a light in it that accented all that "ugly" circuitry. So just because it's now evolved further doesn't mean that this wasn't l33t or whatnot at one time too or that it's lost its definition. Remember your roots, boys...most people still have a plain old tan box.

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

A premod, imo, is an essential component (such as a case) that has been aesthetically or functionally modified to suite a specific market (i.e. modding!).

18. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

A mod to me is when something is actually altered i.e. cases that are cut.

Placing an object within your case is not a mod, IMHO, and placing a mirror on the bottom of your case is not a mod to your case - it is a mod to that piece of mirror. :D

19. Red Ice

Red Ice What's a Dremel?

A good mod will void a warranty or at least make you think, "If I screw up, can I undo this?" Things like fans & lights enhance these mods. I mean really, there are "modding" sections in computer and electronics stores and catalogs.

That said, I started with the lights, fans and a self cut window. (a crappy window at that).

Maybe the real definition of a mod needs to by dynamic and change with market.
    When a window is standard, you need to go a little farther.

I don't know, maybe thats it.

20. Ligoman17

Ligoman17 What's a Dremel?

A mod to me is doing anything to your case/piece of equipment to differentiate it from a typical specimen of that particular case/piece of equipment. A premod is when you buy a case/piece of equipment that incorporates a mod from the factory because you are too lazy/busy/non-1337 to do it yourself. "premod" is an oxymoron of sorts.