1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. madhatter

madhatter What's a Dremel?

let's examine the original question... there was too much for me to read through.

'is adding a cold cathode a mod'

well, mod is short for modification. if you put a cold cathode inside your pc, what have you modified? nothing. therefore, it's not a mod. that's like saying that installing a new hard drive is a mod, which it simply isn't.

2. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I think that there is a very wide gap between a pre-mod and a mod.

When taken literally, the term "mod" only applies when the item (computer case, etc.) has been modified ("modded"). Therefore, adding a cold cathode could be termed as a mod, because it wasn't there origionally, and has been added by you. If, however, the cathode was in the case when you bought it, it counts as a "pre-mod" (modified before purchase). You could move the cathode to a different position in the case and call it a mod, as it has technically been modified. But then under that logic even installing hardware in your case could be termed as a mod.

So, the term mod should be defined as "an alteration to, or installation of additional devices into an object, beyond its intended purpose." Therefore, installing hardware into a case would not constitute a mod, as the installation of hardware is the intended purpose for the use of the case. Installing a cathode would still imply modding, as it is not the origional intended purpose of the case.

In my opinion, modding is "the art of altering a computer case in a way that implies origionality, or the passion for making such alterations." I regard the following as mods:

Adding a window (not swapping the side panel for a windowed one, as that is a pre-mod)
    Cutting blowholes
    Painting
    Highlighting using lighting any part of the inside of your case
    Anything else that is irriversible and takes time and effort to acheve.

A premod is anything that is done at the factory and not by you. Also, there are many things that are neither mods or premods (in my opinion): adding a cathode, adding a pre-made window kit, etc. as these have all been overused and worn out, and are "sitting on the fence" between a mod and a pre-mod.

My 2 cents

Double_c

3. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

The point I was trying to make earlier:

Adding anything what-so-ever to change the appearance of your case for your personal satisfaction is a mod. Buying a case that has the modifications already done is a pre-mod.

It matters not how little the mod is. Does it really matter how little or common a mod is that you people belittle it and now say its 'not a mod'? Are any of you talented enough to actually blow the damn glass and fill it with neon? Do you actually think that changing the plug therefore qualifies it as something better? Actually, its useless work. The 'mods' that people always rave about are things done with a professional touch so that it looks factory made, but actual factory quality is frowned upon?

The elitest atitude that certain mods dont rate because 'if it was cut with a dremel, or soldered together' is such BS. Someones pride and joy should not be rated as a competition. If someone wishes to build everything from scratch, then so be it. That person takes pride in thier work and the challenge. But it should never......NEVER detract from anothers work that is reminiscent of the early days of case-modding.

It doesnt matter how lame something looks, because that is an individual perception that is obviously not shared by the original modder. On that note, I dont even feel that pre-mod is any less than 'mod'. It just adds to the crap atitude that is becoming more apparent as time goes on.

Ive had enough on this subject.

Im tired of the "its not good enough because....." crap.

4. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

relax man its just an opinion and everyone has their right to expresss them.

I think personally a big part of it is that cathodes have become so common now that just adding them is no longer enough but something unique has to be done like adding your own switches, rewireing them, meshing them along with unique windows to go with them.

There is nothing elitest I find about that but just an opinion expressed by the individuals.

Some may find its a mod , some may find its a premod and some individuals have said its neither.

Also the polls speak for themselves on how divided it really is.

Anyways dont think its anything to get angry over.

Think there is more important things to worry about .

:)

5. phoeneous

phoeneous What's a Dremel?

mod·i·fi·ca·tion

1. The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.
    2. A result of modifying.
    3. A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.

Enough said :cooldude:

6. hilmana

hilmana What's a Dremel?

i chose mod but adding a cathode isnt exactally a mod
    in my eyes a mod is when you change something EG:cutting a hole
    and a pre mod is a mod that the company you baught it from did
    so i think its more of an addition than a mod or a pre mod

7. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Exactly...thank you. Sorry but adding a CC(pre-mod) to a case with a window(pre-mod) does not = mod. Its called customizing. Adding a led fan/CC/etc.. to a case is customizing.

A mod is actually changing a case/device/light/etc.. to do something it wasn't intentionally made for. Lets take early beige cases; blowholes and windows were added for cooling ability and style, altering the original design and purpose of the case. This is a mod. Buying a case with a window in it already and adding a 4 CC's is not a mod (and Double_C, you stated: "Therefore, adding a cold cathode could be termed as a mod, because it wasn't there origionally, and has been added by you." IF you buy a pre-modded case, isn't it the intention to add lights/etc. to it...like adding hdd's and such? Then i guess it wouldn't be a mod then?)

I dunno..most people frown apon pre-mods, but i welcome it. It forces us to push the envelope and be even more creative with our projects. Not do the same old thing over and over, but to come up with fresh new ideas.

Just my 2c

8. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

ok i think that a case that is bought with such and such collor and a cold catholde and lighted fans and a windows or any combo or anythign that comes with ur case is a pre-mod. Any thing that you buy and add on wiht out any work exept screwing in(only applies to fans) or stick on( C C and such mabye leds)
    is considered in my eyes an addition like basicly the same as adding a dvd drive or swaping cpus or graphics cards. But if in any way any other work is involved like making a switch or anything for example i got 2 cold catholes but i made a baybus for my 3.5 drive with a blank filler and switches ect.ect so that i consider a mod because there was acual work not just stick in and plugging in the mainstreem of modding to the point where they are selling led fans and cold cathlodes at comp usa has not been good its mostly just flooding modding with idiots and posers. but like online and modding stores are good because realy only people who know what they are looking for will find it thus no posers. example i was talking to a kid in my school about my computer a poser overhears and says "wow how do u do all that i just baught a led fan for my dell can u come over to my house and help me" ok i did and this guy was a total poser so i left thoses are the kind of people that are runing modding(from my persepctive)

yes i will be considered a new school modder by anyone who wants to know but only because of my age

Sorry if i offended any one Sorry about my bad spelling

i just relized i went way off subject

9. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

he he he, it's not technacally cheating at a LAN is it!!!!! :naughty: :naughty:

Zap hanging around you is giving me good idea's that are cheap *shifty eyes*

10. TMM

TMM Modder

its not moddin' unless you have to :dremel: or drill some expensive equiptment :D

11. mime genocide

mime genocide What's a Dremel?

i think that they should be used to enhance a mod like putting light on your lawn gnomes or making your uv glow. if its just blue because it blue then its a pre mod

12. Exomoto

Exomoto What's a Dremel?

I think there's alot of elitism showing here. I know to most people, adding a cathode is just a simple slap bang process, but to a beginner it's still a big thing. You still have to position it right, keep the wires sorted, keep it out of the way of any other parts, make it look nice and still make it work. The fact is that not ever modder is going to want to cut up their new case just because you have to do some cutting to be officially allowed to be a 'modder'.

Take me then for example. I dont have any tools or a workspace, I dont have cash lying around to blow on new cases and I dont want to spend months making the latest ninja gaiden mod with ninjas cutting through the case, I just want something that looks nicer than your average case and has the personal touch, is still completely practical and serves its purpose. Does this mean I'm not allowed to be called a modder? I'm not into hacking up a case because I dont have the cash/tools/time so I'm out of the modding picture?

It's a bit unfair to pick on someone elses mods just because they're "too simple" or they didn't make with the cutting and drilling.

13. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

I think your missing the point...

I wouldn't call myself a mechanic if i know how to change the oil on my car. Has nothing to do with elitism..just that the roots of modding is cutting/hacking/soldering/MODIFYING. Led fans and CC are just accessories you add to a case. Not to say adding this stuff is bad or anything cause we all do it (i just added 4 led fans to a coolermaster case i have, i certainly wouldn't call that a mod).

14. Songwind

Songwind What's a Dremel?

Personally, I don't think that there's enough information to answer this question.

If you just buy a kit, plug it in, and stick the CCFL to the side of the case, no, it's neither a mod nor a pre-mod. (not that I really believe in the idea of a pre-mod).

On the other hand, if your CCFL kit includes a switch which you must build a mount for and install, then you've completed a mod. Maybe it wasn't anything but drilling the right sized hole and filing it smooth, but it's still a mod.

So the poll question really doesn't tell me enough to answer.

15. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

this could go on for centuries

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Well premod is something that was done to the case before you bought it. ie a stock window. I think you've got it dead on. Mounting the switch isn't *much* of a mod but it is one.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Look, do I care? :eyebrow:

Is there a difference between "mod", "premod" ("postmod"?), whatever? Stop being predantic, already, and let's go back to having fun, OK? :rolleyes:

18. Songwind

Songwind What's a Dremel?

If it is built to spec and shipped out, how has it been modified? A case with a window from the factory isn't pre-modded.. it's just a case with a window. I"ve seen several people on these forums cut out fixed hard drive mounts and reattach them with screws so they are removable - does that mean my ca. 1996 case with removable hard drive bays was "pre modded"?

19. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

If you mount the switch in your case then yes it is a mod to me. Its not a difficult mod but a mod none the less in my book. Plus it just leads to bigger mods in the future.

-Dash

20. Ataribob

Ataribob What's a Dremel?

A Mod is never finished

My Shuttle XPC has little room for Modding.
    It's in a Clear Case from http://outsideloop.com/
    I have replaced the Heat Pipe fan with a Blue LED fan. Added another Blue Led fan on top.
    My Ati card has a blue led fan on it from the factory.
    I will be putting 2 Cath Tubes. RED
    And topping it off withe Florresint (SP)(green)Wire around the inside of clear case..

Is That modding ?