1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is adding a cathode a mod or a premod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Whisp[TR], 26 Aug 2004.

?

Is adding a cathode a premod or a mod?

1. premod

121 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. mod

123 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. Phiber Optik

Phiber Optik What's a Dremel?

Okay I just bought a CCFL just for this thread. In its current state it is a pre-mod according to you guys :rolleyes:

So now Im going to cut the wires with my dremel sleeve the wires reattach the plug and plug it in.....now its a mod ?

Come on ANYTHING you do to change the original look of your case is a mod to me just my humble opinion.

2. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I define a premod as a mod that was is already completed out of the box.
    A mod could be defined as a change made by the user that wasn't completed out of the box, but then upgrades and even installing software will count as mods.
    So I say that a mod is a change in a manner that wasn't intended or suggested by the company.

Now, all we need are premodded items that would be difficult, impractical, or impossible for the average modder to perform (like windowed hard drives).
    I mean, even Jessica Simpson can window a computer case, but even Bill Gates will have a hard time justifying the cost of a cleanroom to window a hard drive.

3. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

To window a hard drive in bulk might be hard but not impossible with todays technology. As for doing it at home its easy enough. Juts do it in the bathroom. Turn on the shower on high heat then close the door. Give it awhile to build up steam then turn it off. Let the room sit for like 30 minutes and perform your work. That will get all the dust out of the air for ya and just get the top off quick and put on the new one and you should be good to go.

4. Zain2k

Zain2k Banned

why is this thread still going on....people!!!...just Mod ok however you want....

Pathetic!..

>Zain

5. Whisp[TR]

called freedom of speech where i come from lol

6. Ataribob

Ataribob What's a Dremel?

A True Mod

As the vote looks now a Pre Mod is still a Mod.
    I say even if out of the box pre modded it's still a Mod .
    Factory Modded.
    I have seen some pretty nice mods on stock cases.
    Who' s the non knowing that says you have to do a Mod yourself.
    :dremel: :wallbash:

7. Whisp[TR]

well I never said lol that you yourself have to mod it. For example I modded my friends case and he says he has a modded case. But that because his case was changed from stock from a factory.

I think that plays a big part of it too

is it a reproduction like a factory making tons of them like cathods or id it one of a kind done by your own hands.

8. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

i have seen cathode lights change the whole look of a case. my modding philosophy goes like this:

most important thing: paint /color theme YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS OR ELSE IT WILL NOT BE PROFESSIONALLY GOOD LOOKING!!

second most important thing: lighting, lighting, lighting. i don't care how you do it by either leds or cathodes this can either make or break a mod. if you can't see it in the dark at a LAN party then does it really exist?

upon saying that i think that cathode lights are a really good way to efficiantly light your case. it takes a good modder to effectively place cathodes. so i think that they are a definate mod. :D

9. blackacidevil

blackacidevil What's a Dremel?

definitely premod. Unless you actually built the CCFL yourself.
    Adding underglow lighting to your stock Honda Civic does not make it a modded car.
    Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

10. Whisp[TR]

LOL

Whats doe sit make you hehehheeh.

That would be some premod lol

11. epidemik

epidemik What's a Dremel?

its just an extra option to make it look good.

*looks at neons* :rock:

12. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

To me, if someone personalises their case in any way they've modified it (i.e. modded it). If that's only adding a CCFL so be it and good on them for doing it.

To some, modding is only hardcore hacking and transforming of a case or a scratch-built case, to others it's adding pre-made components. To me, I consider both modding.

I simply look at the end result. Usually a well executed heavily modded or custom-built case will look more individual and thus attract more interest and praise from the community and require more skill to execute. But, to me, modding is also about any altering or personalising your case to what you want and like. I can't help the attitudes of people who laugh at those who do simple things with ready-made components, but I can say "good on you!" to the modder for making their rig into something they enjoy using and looking at.

The whole 'elitism' thing is total BS. Modding is NOT a competition of "mines bigger/better/cooler than yours! Nyah!", though a lot of people seem to think it is :rolleyes: .

Do what you enjoy, and respect that what others enjoy may be different. However, no matter what, encourage everyone. Todays 'bung-in-a-CCFL' may be tomorrows 'Rig of the Month'.

Mod on :dremel:

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

So is Zain's comment. :D

Exactly. :rock:

14. Whisp[TR]

there is a fine line since he saying we cant and that is where it draws the line when you try and give an opinion that opresses others from there rights.

so there is a big difference.

lol

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

At the risk of going off-topic (yet again...), he is not saying you can't; he is just questioning why people are being so pedantic about the whole issue and endorses that people just mod what/how they want. But by you saying that you can't say that, you are suppressing his rights. If you see what I mean. And I am not being pedantic at all. No, really. :D

16. Whisp[TR]

personally Nexxo i think you are just trying to start a flame war lol.

First off i would like you to show me where i said he couldnt express his opinion.

My comment was based on the fact that he called the people that are continuing the mature subject and conversation as pathetic hence i said freedom of speech.

I never once said that he couldnt think that or express his opinion.

lol

Nice try though

now lets look at the situation here.

we have one person calling peope pathetic for expressing ther opinion with someone supporting them on it.

then the other saying that everyone can express theiropinion and has said that multiple times throughout the thread that they started.

gee go figure.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2004
  17. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

The case with the CCFL and store bought LED fans doesn't need to be segregated from 'real' mods, they all stand on their own merits.

It seems to me that we are arguing about the threshold at which modding begins because it has been greatly lowered in the past few years leading many to feel that it has diluted the group. The same thing happens with every other interest group on earth, most recently and notably with motorcycles with its explosion in popularity. It also happened with the hot rodding scene. There is a very important lesson in both of these though, the only thing that actually changed about the group was the general public's perception of them. People go out and buy premod choppers nowadays and go out and ride with their premod friends while the old guard sits back, grumbles, and goes about their activites as they always have.

Likewise the only thing that's changed is that we now have discussions about what constitutes a premod and what doesn't. We still carve up cases and show them to each other the way we always have. If anything, the premod stuff has gotten more people into the activity. One day a kid is buying a CCFL and the next day he is cutting a blowhole. In a year that kid might be bending up a custom case out of sheet metal. Think of that LED fan as a gateway drug.

The point of all this is that it might seem like the definition of mod and premod matters now, but in actuality it doesn't make any difference. It's all business as usual. The only thing that matters to me is the work itself, not the label on it.

18. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

I am going with MOD. IMO any addition that you put in your case that adds a personal touch is a mod. ie. Lights, fans, fans with lights, aftermarket PSU, Round cable kit.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2005
  19. Liquid Steele

Liquid Steele What's a Dremel?

So if I put a CCFL in a old computer is it a retro mod and if I have a case that has had a CCFL in since 1970 is it a senior mod and if that is the case can either of these be in the same room all night with a pre mod without getting arrested. :D :D :D

20. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

mod imo, if your case came with one or more in there pre-mod, but tbh I've not seen that. if you change something you've modded it..