1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is an nVidia 210 powerful enough to play 1080p on a HP Micro server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neocleous, 22 Nov 2011.

1. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

As in title I have a HP N40L Micro server and I want to use it as an XBMC box is a 210 enough or do I need something with a bit more umph like a GT 520?

2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

It'll do 1080p without issue but if you start adding image effects such as noise reduction then you'll start to run into some stuttering issues but considering how close they are in price I'd be tempted just to plump for the 520 and not have to worry.

3. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I think your right, I think this would do nicely I just hope its not very noisy!

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Looks like it should do the job nicely, it may be a little noisy but you can always have a go at editing the fan profile through afterburner so it doesn't ramp up too loudly unless it's under some higher workloads.

5. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

It will literally just be used for playing back 1080P MKV's a game will never go near the card lol

All the fanless cards are dual slot and space is at a premium in the Micro server so I don't fancy trying to squeeze one of those in.

6. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Even if it did fit I'd be very put off with a fanless card in the microserver, I have one myself and where the card is positioned in the case it's getting very little airflow.

I've definately go with one of the fan models, you could even downlock the card if it's just for 1080p playback which doesn't require much muscle meaning you could run the fan at between 10-30% speed which hopefully shouldn't be audible from where you're sitting.

7. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Sold! I'm just waiting to hear back from Scan as to why they are charging me postage and it will be ordered. I'll post back with my results as I'm sure more people will be interested in doing this.

8. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Definitely, I'll like to know how temps/noise levels are should I decide to assign my micro sever to HTPC duties at some point. Enjoy.

9. The Protocol

The Protocol What's a Dremel?

I had a 210 (hacked it to peices for a Nvidia product display unit in my Graphics class, wanted to get the chip out) and for the time I used it it ran everything - even games - fine. 10fps for maxed out C&C titles of 2009 (when I was using it) but while it runs things it doesn't run them for long. The coolers on 210s are absoloutely TERRIBLE, constantly overheating and shutting the system down. So I'd get something like a 430 for the piddly cost involved

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Right the 520/30 or hd6450 would be a better way to go than the 210. The only call for a 210 is if you actually need one of the pci-e 1x models for some special use as I haven't seen any newer cards in 1x yet.

11. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I ordered the Point of view GT 520 and it came yesterday installed it in my machine and it works perfectly for playing back HD content!

Noise wise I can't hear it. I doubt the fan is actually spinning up to be honest, very pleased with the card.

I have to say that the HP Micro Server is one of the best hardware buys I have made in a while because of its design its so versatile and has lots of different uses and the AMD Neo CPU is soooooo much better than an Intel Atom CPU

12. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Dont suppose you would mind putting a pic of the microserver up with the 520 card in would ya bud? Do you have a BluRay player installed in there as well or just playing 1080p MKV's?

13. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

What sort of picture would you like because as it is built there isn't much to see its just a half height card at the back with a DVI and HDMI connection on.

There is no BlueRay player installed its just for MKV's but I can't see why BlueRays would be an issue the system seems to have plenty of power for that.

14. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Just to see the clearance between the cards heatsink/fan between the edge of the case thats all, if its too much messing about dont worry bud :)

Fair enough on the BluRay, I have a 2nd MicroServer myself and just wondering what to do with it as I want to build a smaller HTPC myself so adding a BluRay and a GPU like you have might be the direction to go.....

15. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

Ill try and snap a pic for you later coolamasta. I bought the the Micro server to initially help with upgrading my current WHS to WHS 2011 (the micro server doesn't have enough hard drive slots for me). Then I had the intention of putting free nas on it, but that seems like such a wast now as its so powerful and versatile that it seems a shame to put it to such a menial task.

I will have to think of something bigger and better for it I'm not sure what yet the GFX card that I put in that is going to be transferred into my existing WHS to double up as an XBMC box for the room its in.

I installed it in the Micro server initially to see what it can do, I may even get another one for it when I settle on a use for it

16. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

I removed the graphics card from the Micro Server today but before I did I took some pictures of it in place for you to get an idea of what it looks like installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There isn't much room in there but there is enough space for another card like a RAID controller.

I hope that helps a few other people out