1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Is an Oblivion expansion coming soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 12 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Love Oblivion, but expansion? Just work on number 5!!

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I loved Oblivion untill it corrupted 3 72+hour saves I had backed up.

Hated it ever since.

4. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Hopefully the expansion will add a lot more in terms of gameplay. Oblivion for me was over too soon, and the extra content has not really been worth the money.

I have gone back to playing Morrowind and with the texture packs (scenery, faces, and bodies), and additional content (children of Morrowind etc). The game is much more immersive.

I still have'nt completed Morrowind which to me says how bigger the game is compared to Oblivion which feels more focussed on graphics and pandering to the console market.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm actually kinda with Garside on this one. TES IV was overall a dissapointment in comparison with Morrowind, they should get working on a sequal that doesn't have all sorts of stupid things hardcoded in, instead of drawing more life outta Oblivion.

6. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

If it stays in the same provence and does not expand, that would be a huge disapointment.

7. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

Meh... I don't know how others feel but to me this whole pay as you play concept seems like a pile of ********. I love Oblivion and I love HL2. But paying one a month or few times a year for a bit of added content seems like a ripoff. At least now when expansions are $10 or more.

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

all the bug issues with oblivion seem to have put a big dampener on that

Personally i never bought any of the add on's for oblivion, and i haven't even played oblivion that much recently

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm also in agreement, I was really disapointed with Oblivion, I tried to like it but it just wasn't as good as Morrowind. I may get the expansion pack but I'm a bit on the fence, I havn't really played Oblivion since the first weekend I got it.

They also did the additional content for Morrowind alot better, they put a few plugins up on thier web site for completely free, and then released a total of two expansion packs, both worth the money IMO.

Sure the additional content wasn't always amazing, but for the price, neither is the Oblivion content.

10. synapse1337

synapse1337 What's a Dremel?

How could you possibly say Oblivion wasnt amazing? Great story and content... TES isnt as good this time around but that wont stop people from making Oblivion mods and add-ons like they did with Morrowind - which was what made that game great. Yes, some things are hardcoded but that's for stability purposes... you might want to read up about it before just complaining.

The principle problem with a game like this is its anticipation. Let me explain. See, everybody gets overly excited about what it could do and starts to compare it to older versions without thinking about it as logically as one would normally. Which in turn is only setting the game up for failure. Think about it... have you ever had high expectations for a game and have them follow through with it in every respect? Not for me atleast, it's always lacked something but that doesnt stop it from being amazing or atleast I dont think so.

Stop for a minute and consider how many amazing things the game has instead of focusing on minute problems. I can guarantee most people will end up playing the expansion regardless of current problems so I dont see what the complaining is about...

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

No! Making it possible for PC users to have 10 hotkeys or making it possible to allow spears in the game could have been done. I've read plenty on the official and main unofficial forum about the game engines limitations and they are quite many. The fact that you can never have the different armour on the left and right sides, or pauldrons at all, those are limiatations that should NOT have been.

The problem with TES4 was not the anticipation, it was the limitation and dumbing down that took place.

I know myself and thousands of other hardcore morrowind fans were dissapointed with TES4. There are plenty of problems with the game, and there are many, many, things that Bethesda did to make non-RPG fans buy their games, non-RPG fans who dont even care for the thing after they realise that it is in fact still an RPG.

TES5 needs to get back to being what the TES series was about untill Oblivion, hardcore RPG for people who love that sort of thing. Not RPG lite for the masses.

12. 13en

13en Minimodder

hmm... Knights of the White Stallion? Wasn't that the quest in Leyawiin with that orc? I guess It'll follow on with more missions for that, with those black bow bandits perhaps? Of course, to really be an expansion and worth $20 (or the £20 we'll probably have to pay) it'll have to add something more... perhaps a new province? Given the Leyawiin connection with the name, probably Elseweyr, or possibly, but less likely, Black Marsh
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsweyr
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Marsh

Elseweyr seems more likely, as its smaller. Still, it sounds good - home of the Kahjiit, plenty of towns, a large foreest (hopefully different from cyrodil), and a desert (something that i've thought would be interesting in oblivion...)

Well I'd pay for it, but lets hope its £10-15 instead of a direct £1=£1 conversion.

edit: and it would be nice if it seemed a bit bigger than cyrodil does, although its unlikely given that its smaller :( as it is, Oblivion just feels to small to me, Morrowind had a much better sense of scale

Last edited: 12 Sep 2006
  13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Expansions a no go. Confirmed here: http://www.gamersreports.com/news/3817/

So I guess there's nothing for now, but at one point there will be.

14. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Ey true that, I think thats because of the fast travel feature they added in. Its handy but it does give the overall impression that tes4 is smaller than tes3.

15. c0d3_z3r0

c0d3_z3r0 What's a Dremel?

Oblivion is a pretty good game, I beat it 3 times already, but instead of releasing an expansion they should work on TES V.
    I want to see what they have in the works for TES V, I know they're probably working on it, lets just hope that they'll take the advantage of current and future hardware.
    What i'd like to see is the type of technology that crytek is working on in crysis, but in future release games, if the next Elder Scrolls uses technology like that, the graphics on it would be insane.

16. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Meh, Oblivion was great until I played it. Open-ended my big toe. And considering how buggy the full game was, when they had 100% of their time dedicated to it rather than having to concentrate on a billion microcontentthingies... no thanks.

17. myth

myth What's a Dremel?

What bugs? I keep hearing about them but never experienced them.. Or are there only bugs on low end spec'd PC's? :D Looks and runs fine on my end?

Tags: Add Tags