1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is Blu-Ray Here To Stay?

Discussion in 'General' started by Condiment, 28 Jan 2009.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Hopefully BD will be around for a while. Streaming media is nice and all, but I prefer to have the physical media in my hand when it comes to movies. (collectors will always want physical media)

As fury says, SS media is the only reasonable competition to blueray in the near future. It will probably be a bit more expensive to produce. Remember that optical media is VERY cheap to mass produce. It's just plastic and a bit of foil. The cost lies in making the dies for the discs, but with a large enough volume this won't be a problem.

Sheep in action. :duh:

A company in Norway tried that. They lost customers very, very quickly...

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Straw poll: (It'll get a decreasing amount of yes-votes)

How many people have an internet connection?
    How many people have a HDTV?
    How many people have a blu-ray capable devise?
    How many people have a compatible HD sound system?
    How many people give two shits about BD-Live and extra features?

BD is all about the extra **** that noone cares about. The only think people equate it to is High Def Video. Not HD audio, not extra BD-live stuff, not picture in picture.

Most people think DVDs look good enough. HD video might be nice, but for 99% of people the HD experience is 50% at most because no one has a compatible sound system or even cares for anything other than tinny TV-stereo.

Blu-ray is a marketing exercise because people want to buy HDTVs and games consoles like the PS3 have become a more accepted household item, that's all. Plus, you can play DVDs on a BD unit - you couldnt put VHS into a DVD slot. They may have done a BD uptake poll, but did they also do one comparing DVD sales to BD movie sales?

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sure. Some recent figures I just found state this...

That looks about right considering the mature age of the DVD format versus the infant-age BD format.

Personally, all I care about in any disc format (DVD or BD) is an excellent video transfer as well as a top-notch audio mix (being a video and audiophile it comes with the territory!). Never gave two s**ts about any of the extra crap like deleted scenes or anything, even when they were brand-new on DVDs at the time. With BD-Live I think I've spun it up twice, and that was for 5 mins before getting bored with it. I have way too many other more important things like modding to take care of to be messing with crap that was left on the editing room floor for a reason. I don't really watch that stuff, and I probably never will.

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US they are switching all standard TV broadcasting to an digital signal, so you have to A. Own an HDTV or B. Purchase an DTV coverter box. The want to buy an HDTV is slowly turning into you have to buy an HDTV. I do think the DTV boxes are out for sale to use with your non-DTV.

@Bindibadgi. 4/5. I don't have any BR drives.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2009
  5. E.E.L. Ambiense

UrbanMarine - No, it's merely ending the analog broadcasts. They aren't going to HD for all channels yet.

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Ah crap I ment digital signal. Got HD stuck in the damn brain. You still need a box or digital tuner.

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

As E.E.L. Ambiense says, the DTV changeover that will occur on February 17 affects television stations that broadcast an analogue signal over the open airwaves. All over-the-air television will be switched to a digital signal. Interestingly, a lot of people are buying new "digital" antennas, not realizing that their old antennas are most likely capable of receiving the digital signal. The problem comes when the antenna passes the digital signal to an older TV with an analogue tuner

Despite being a government web site, all you need to know can be found here.

Most people won't notice the change, as it really only affects people receiving over-the-air television via an aerial antenna. If you have cable TV (digital or otherwise), the switch will not affect you.

Ninja Edit: Just saw your reply above. I'll leave this post as it might be helpful to some.

-monkey

8. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

How many people have an internet connection? ----- yes damm fast one for the area im in.
    How many people have a HDTV? ------ yes and laptop is plugged into it for semi-HTPC
    How many people have a blu-ray capable devise? ----- not yet. PS3 coming but for the games
    How many people have a compatible HD sound system? ----- not yet but will do.
    How many people give two shits about BD-Live and extra features? ----- you what?!

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Here in the UK they are starting the Digital Switch over.
    You can go about it in several ways:
    Sky Digital (HD Available)
    Virgin Media
    Freesat (HD Available)
    Freeview
    Possibly something else i don't know about

Most new, if not all new TV's sold in the UK have Freeview built in. Panasonic in the UK even have Freesat built into their TV sets.

On the subject of Blu-Ray, i think it's a format to stay for some time, sales will pick up through out the year, remember, it's still January. The price of the PS3 will drop, allowing more to buy that, Samsung offer decent BD players for a little over £100, they also offer the only BD 7.1 Home Cinema system, and that can be found from £700 to £1000. Theres also the price of TV's, it's dropping so fast and by quiet a considerable amount, HD will become the norm sooner rather than later.

Sam

10. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I would just get a cheapish BD drive for my computer and rip the discs and store them on the computer. With the advent of 2TB drives, it's not to hard now to have your entire DVD/BD collection on a 1-2 2TB drives. Uncompressed, no. HD content can be compressed, go download any HD movie on a torrent and tell me if it looks any worse then the BD, and if you can see the difference just pump up the bitrate a bit! 10-15gbs is nothing on a 2TB drive. Give it another year or two and you'll be seeing 3-5TB drives, mark my words!

HTCP's is where its going, playing HD/DVD content off a computer is actually more convenient in many scenarios, I know I love it (problem is organizing it all into a seamless database for easy searching/sorting).

11. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Getting the video and audio to my TV is the problem, I'm losing signal quality pretty much no matter what I do and I'm not going to watch this stuff on my computer :p I would have to buy exspensive hardrives and networking equipment to accomplish all that and it would cost more than a good BD player.

My system supports, 1080P, 7.1 audio uncompressed, the screen is big enough to notice bit-rate difference, my current wireless network will barely stream text documents lol

Last edited: 30 Jan 2009
  12. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I bought a BD-S350 just before Christmas and tbh it's the mutts nuts, (if you're not British, that means good.) Although it up-scales DVD, the difference between Blu-ray and DVD is enough for me to stop buying the latter where I can. Disappointingly, a lot of TV shows, like Spaced, are still only available on the older format.

Interestingly, and OT, HD will be coming to Freeview later this year.
    http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/2008/04/HDTV_on_Freeview_next_year.php

Although it may be at the cost of current SD channels. I don't know how credible the source it, but Freeview is already artefacted to hell and back. A drop in quality would be poo.
    http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051356

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

There's no point in buying TV series on BD, especially not ones as old as Spaced - they'll have been filmed at SD resolution so there's no benefit in BD - except the ability to get more episodes on a single disc.

That article about HD on Freeview is interesting, since Ofcom have always refused to allocate any new bandwidth caused by the analogue turnoff to HD channels, using the old "market forces" argument.

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Considering your location i dont think we in the UK will ever see HD streaming via are telecoms industry. Sure you can buy fast connection speeds from the likes of virgin 50MB, buts thats the allowed connection headroom you can have, you'll most likely get an average of 8mb if your lucky. Its just a way to make the novice consumer spend more of there hard earned cash.

What the UK has been needing is for all its aging exchanges to be replaced, alot of new cable layed, but considering were heading into hard times again i dont see it happening soon.

SkyHD and freeview HD (via satilete) might be an option but i imagin broadcast material for now will be a 720p image due to bandwidth limitations. Correct me if i am wrong.

Blue-ray will be staying as the Hi-Def medium that you can take home and watch, There will be a move to up-scaling DVD players for some people, and for the most part alot of people will be happy with an up-scaler and there current collection of DVD's.

If i was to hook anything up to hi-def TV i would want it to play BD and upscale my DVD's. But it certainly means i wouldn't stop buying the cheap dvd's tecos offer. the crappy £3 films that make you laugh but could happily bin if needed! lol!

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

I've never seen Spaced, but have always wanted to. I take it the show was shot on video then? If it was shot on film, then it's way more than capable of being "HD" because a typical decent 35mm film frame if it were to be put to a digital 'resolution' is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 million pixels. Way beyond what anything digital is capable of.

Just like DVDs' early releases, a print not optimized for the BR format have been used for transfers and thus does not look up to par. It goes without saying that making a quality transfer is truly an artform. But most of this stuff is probably beyond anyone short of a filmschool graduate's mind to grasp or even really care about. :lol:

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well make it so man. In the UK, not watching a single episode of Spaced is an offence equal to baring your naked buttocks at the queen.

On Blu-ray, a quick look on Amazon shows new disks selling for an average of £16, with the cheapest titles selling for £9. I know new tech is more expensive for early adopters as part of a strategy to recoup R&D and tooling costs, but if they want to shift titles, they're going to have to level BD at DVD prices.

17. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

My only problem with all the HD formats is the cost of getting on board for, to me, little in return. I've got a nice 32" lcd TV but its only 720 not 1080, and there is no chance of me bothering to upgrade till this one breaks. We bought this one to replace a failing 4:3 CRT TV and lcd types were the only way to get a thin widescreen tv that would fit in our flat. I’d also have a very hard job convincing the misses that in a small flat what we need is more speakers, and in all the years of owning a DVD player I can count on one hand how many disks I've bothered with the extra features.
    When DVD’s came out they had easy to understand advantages over video that could be used with existing equipment, Blu ray doesn't have this for lots of people.
    When I finally can be bothered to upgrade my AV stuff I’m hoping all this Bluray/HDTV will be finishing in favour of 3D holograph displays to make watching erm.... stuff ...more interesting.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. I will. But I DO have the complete LEXX series, Kai.... ;)

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Which is awesome. As a bonus, the BD player upscales and sharpens DVDs. LEXX looks good on it, though dodgy CGI is still dodgy.

20. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I say resurect HD-DVD, cheaper, completed standard, all the HD DVD players did the same stuff.

But yes Blu-Ray is here to stay and im just bitter cause i cba forking out daft amounts of money.