1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is Console Gaming Dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Dec 2009.

1. dryrice

dryrice Zestious Knight

console gaming never dies. it will never

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'm sure it will one day, who knows what the future may bring.

3. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

4. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

1 Controller, and a severe lack of any other functionality. It's a bit unrealisitc to expect a person to play only 1 game..or have only 1 controller.

Well, seeing as the is a lack of 1st party PC developers...go figure. You're right on this one.

You can't read can you? You never need bleeding edge technology, my point was that mid-range gaming technology(e.g $150 GPUs) can run games fine.

Well if you were to buy a PC from walmart..that doesn't even classify as a gaming PC first of all. And secondly we're talking about bulding a PC v a Console. Thirdly, you have 3 consoles, great, now to buy all the accessories and games...Artificially deflating the prices now are we?

Not with your logic, there is no inflation or deflation of price, you're just excluding some things from the console so you artifically delfate the price..

6. Warrior24_7

7. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Once you have a TV recording on the PC environment, absolutely nothing (no DVR) can beat the PC.

A DVR is a video recorder with console-like limitations - You're limited in terms of what format and bit rate you can record in, and limited in what you can do with your recording.

On the other hand, a TV recording on a PC has no boundaries.

Not only can you have much more storage, but you can convert the video into any video format you want. Compress it; edit it, email it; copy and paste it; easily backup to another hard drive; put it on a DVD or Bluray; put it on your Windows mobile phone; upload it to You Tube; and the list goes on.

Please tell me exactly how a TV and DVR are better at recording TV than a PC. Nice try :)

Also, how can the HDTV give you more channels than a PC?

Do you even understand the words that are coming out of your mouth?

You CAN record any recordable channels from the TV tuner output from the HDTV to the PC (instead of DVR) or via a tuner card installed in the PC.

I sense more off-topic lies coming .... :lol:

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

fixed

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Gunsmith :)

10. Warrior24_7

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

If you didn't purchase a TV then how are you playing it???

12. Warrior24_7

Wow! Just Wow!!

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

haha ya i kind of expected a answer like that.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well seeing as 2 games = +$100...let's see, let's say 3 more games since most games are lacking in replay value these days...3x$50 = $150 x3 = $450.

So the 3 console prices you quoted: $200 + $300 + $200 = $800 + $450 = $1250...

Now $1250 for a bare minumum console(the 360 has no wireless still), 1 or 2 controllers, vs a $500 upgrade on your computer + a $300 new monitor, and you've still got $450 left for games, plus via steam, you get to access a large library of games that are >$20.

I don't think the price/performance medal goes to the console to be honest.

A true statement yes, but using this as a basis, wouldn't one say that the PC should get a handicap? :D

Or you could build your own and have 1 PC that does it all...

If I were getting a console, I'd probably invite a few friends over....so I'd need at least another controller for every console, so that's about $150? $300 for 2 for each.

And 3 Free games? How long's that going to last? Seeing as it's for each platformm I'd most likely have to buy another one soon.

Not for the Wii, but if you wanted to do console gaming on it's "maximum" potential, would it not be reasonable to say you need at least a 720p HDTV? Because if not, even those crappy PCs you describe would look better.

To sum up this thread:

Guy who selective looks at 1 sentece or word in my answers and tries but fails to refute them.

And:

Fun.

15. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

You cannot suggest that every PC purchased requires a new monitor.

Just like a TV, a monitor can be an investment. Comparable.

My 17" CRT (bought when a 17" was a luxury for PCs and incidentally pumped out a comparable resolution way back then to console now) lasted many years for both work and play until I upgraded to TFT. And now this current monitor will never be replaced until they bring out a decent 3D version ...

Oh and when they do bring out a decent 3D TV I'll have to upgrade that too. Comparable.

Delete TVs and monitors from the argument, cheers.

Adding DVRs to the PC vs console argument ADDS $'s to the cost comparison for consoles.

So moving on, how many more gadgets and gizmos do you need to add to the console to make it comparable to a PC? And how much is the final cost? .... mmm, I smell a victory.

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

PC = more expensive to buy but does more, is better at doing it, games cost less.
    Console = cheap to buy, limited functions, games cost more.

both valid but different aproaches to the market.

17. Warrior24_7

This is getting too easy! You're literally being beaten from pillar to post IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY!!! ! Since when does $200 + $300 + $200 = $800? Are you serious?!! You better find that missing $100!

This is an "upgrade" now? How much did the PC cost originally?!! Add that!! Oh, this is a "new" monitor? How much was the old one? Add that!! Wait a minute, didn't you say it was stupid to buy a new monitor when you have old ones lying around? Are you contradicting yourself again Elton?!! Are you calling yourself stupid? Now, now, thats not nice, play nice with yourself!! A $1250"bare minimum" console? In what reality are you living in?!! Somebody, ANYBODY, come save this guy!!

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Conso...d=482412&fromPageCatId=482412&catNavId=482412

You're not thinking at all right now!

The PC "needs" a handicap? Against a console?!! It's already getting hand-me-downs, the console can't do anything else for it.

Been there, done that, won't do it again!

See above

It'll last a helluva lot longer than an $800 PC with "no" games!!! Not only can't your friends play, you can't either!!! LOL!!

His family already has an HDTV! Your point?!!

There "YOUR" words, and as long as you like eating them, I'll keep feeding them to you!

I'm glad you like it!

18. Warrior24_7

You need a monitor to use a PC, it's sold seperately and you have to pay for it! If it isn't, it's included in the price of the PC! Since it adds to the cost of the PC, and PC gamers don't want this, so they try a ditch the thing and say that they had one under the bathroom sink from a previous build!

19. Warrior24_7

I'm talking about recording and watching shows. A PC can't beat a TV/DVR and you just gave it away. I have a TV tuner for my PC and it's limited! All stations cannot be recieved and all shows cannot be recorded! ANY program coming thru that DVR can be recorded! There is a reason for this too. If you can't record all programs thru your PC then you lost right there! which you've already admitted too!

20. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

So am I :duh:

Anyway, what kind of TV card do you have in your PC that can't watch all channels - I'm just curious.
    :hip:

Tags: Add Tags