1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Is Console Gaming Dying?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 14 Dec 2009.

1. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    ETW is not RTS, its TBS+RTT.

2. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope that is the future. On the other hand can you see console tards putting up with PC players' millisecond reaction times? :p

3. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

"If a dev went out on a limb"? Really? If that was the case maybe we would have PC games that take advantage of the hardware instead of console ports!! LOL!

4. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

Well that narrows it down then doesn't it? It's obvious, RTS games will not save the PC since nobody is playing them!

5. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

It's important to define what you mean by 'nobody'. I personally understand it to mean 'less than 1 person'. You also don't get the nature of the UK games chart - it charts what people have bought recently, but RTS games have huge longevity - I still play Rome: TW as do many others.

The PC does not need saving, nor will it ever. It doesn't rely on games to survive, unlike consoles. RTS games are an *example* of how the PC has much more flexibility in terms of games than consoles.

6. tron

tron New Member

7. tron

tron New Member

Plus the world cannot live without PCs.

For as long as there are PCs, there will always be PC games. There was PC gaming from the very first home computers; PC gaming today; and PC gaming for ever.

8. zimboy69

zimboy69 New Member

is this a joke
    this is not comming from some console owner i only own a pc

but if you want to know how well the pc is doing look in any pc store
    or superstore or any place that sells computer games in the country
    and you will see consoles have a shelf space of more than three times pc games

even pc world has more than three times the space for wii ps3 and xbox games than pc

i would think pc account for at most 10% of all game sales with wii ps3 and xbox getting in the region of 25-30% each of the remainder

superstores like asda,tescos and morrisons you will be lucky even to find the top ten pc games

i am more worried about pc and the future of pc games than i am about a xbox or wii or ps3 or any next gen console

mmo's are probably killing pc games more than any piracy

how many people played wow or any mmo and didnt or still dont play anythign else while they play it

so while blizzard got a lot of income most other comapnies recived very little

i know for myself i played nothing but wow for two years not one other game

as soon as i stopped i started to play a new game every month if not two new ones a month

10 years time the chances are you will be askign what happend to pc games

9. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Here at walmart there are more pc games than ps3. Whereas Gamestop ( the only "game store" left around here ) has about equal between the three ( ps3, pc, 360 ) but ps2 still has at least two times as many as those.

Personally I wouldn't say that either PC or console gaming is dieing, but it is definitely stagnating. The same games rehashed over and over and over.

10. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

I totally understand what the "nature" of the UK games chart is. It's no different than any other games chart. It charts what people have recently purchased and what is most popular at the moment. That is the problem. The SAME games have been on that chart for yeeeears! How long as WoW and the Sims been on that chart? How long has Empire TW been on that chart? To me this represents a LACK of flexibility since the same games appear there year in and year out. Also the same types of games, MMOs, RTS, and Sim games! Thats not flexibility when the majority of games are the same type over and over. The console has WAY more variety in games than the PC. The PC will not be "saved" by one genre of games, if it is to fail. It will just be so neglected by developers and gamers, that people will just drift away from it slow but surely as they're doing right now. Thus ultimately making it irrelevent.

11. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

You're so narrow minded it's not even funny. For one, stop using the top 10 charts to characterise PC games as a whole. You wouldn't say all music could be wholly represented by what is in the top 10 charts today, could you? No, I wouldn't even think about buying any of it because, like games, there is so much else out there that you are obviously oblivious to. Popular doesn't equal good.

And I'm sorry, but the PC allows so much more flexibility than consoles. Ask any developer, even console-only developers, and they will tell you this, not only in developing the game, but also after it's released, with things like mods and dedicated servers. There's only so much you can do with consoles, which is why you only get rehashed sequels like Halo or whatever other crap is out there. There are also good games that are only on the consoles, like Uncharted, but there are many more good games on the PC, which apparently you have never even heard of. Where is the Supreme Commander of the console world? What about Crysis? STALKER? Company of Heroes? World in Conflict? Sure, a couple of those are getting console sequels, but I'll eat my hat if they're even remotely as good as the originals, or their PC counterparts. Then you get all the small indie games like Machinarium, Audiosurf, World of Goo etc., which couldn't make the breakthrough on a console. I can't think of a single decent PC franchise which has remained good after it also has to be developed for consoles, there are just too many limitations imposed by it. Far Cry 2 is one good example, as I'm sure Crysis 2 will be, as much as it pains me to say it. But we will always have the originals.

I can understand PC gamers' frustration with console games, but I think console gamers need to stop viewing PC gaming as the 'enemy' (why you would even want to, I don't know), but as something that is good for the gaming industry as a whole, and especially for console gamers. Many of the most innovative and highly successful games released on consoles owe their roots somewhere in PC gaming, for example, if it wasn't for the PC then console gamers wouldn't get the chance to play Half-Life 2 or Portal, and a world without the Half-Life series isn't one I would like to live in. Quite simply, if PC gaming wasn't around, you would miss out on so many good games that could be developed if the platform was still around, and it is for this reason PC gaming won't die. As long as people still have PCs in their homes, there will be games made for them.

12. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

[QUOTE You're so narrow minded it's not even funny. For one, stop using the top 10 charts to characterise PC games as a whole. You wouldn't say all music could be wholly represented by what is in the top 10 charts today, could you? No, I wouldn't even think about buying any of it because, like games, there is so much else out there that you are obviously oblivious to. Popular doesn't equal good.

And I'm sorry, but the PC allows so much more flexibility than consoles. Ask any developer, even console-only developers, and they will tell you this, not only in developing the game, but also after it's released, with things like mods and dedicated servers. There's only so much you can do with consoles, which is why you only get rehashed sequels like Halo or whatever other crap is out there. There are also good games that are only on the consoles, like Uncharted, but there are many more good games on the PC, which apparently you have never even heard of. Where is the Supreme Commander of the console world? What about Crysis? STALKER? Company of Heroes? World in Conflict? Sure, a couple of those are getting console sequels, but I'll eat my hat if they're even remotely as good as the originals, or their PC counterparts. Then you get all the small indie games like Machinarium, Audiosurf, World of Goo etc., which couldn't make the breakthrough on a console. I can't think of a single decent PC franchise which has remained good after it also has to be developed for consoles, there are just too many limitations imposed by it. Far Cry 2 is one good example, as I'm sure Crysis 2 will be, as much as it pains me to say it. But we will always have the originals.

I can understand PC gamers' frustration with console games, but I think console gamers need to stop viewing PC gaming as the 'enemy' (why you would even want to, I don't know), but as something that is good for the gaming industry as a whole, and especially for console gamers. Many of the most innovative and highly successful games released on consoles owe their roots somewhere in PC gaming, for example, if it wasn't for the PC then console gamers wouldn't get the chance to play Half-Life 2 or Portal, and a world without the Half-Life series isn't one I would like to live in. Quite simply, if PC gaming wasn't around, you would miss out on so many good games that could be developed if the platform was still around, and it is for this reason PC gaming won't die. As long as people still have PCs in their homes, there will be games made for them.[/QUOTE]

You don't make any sense. First, I used the top ten chart to highlight the lack of RTS games on it, after it was suggested that the RTS would "save" PC gaming! Now, who the hell gave you the right to decide what is "good' and "not good' for everyone else? Just because "you" don't like a game, doesn't mean that game is not good! That is a VERY "narrow minded" and "ignorant" way to view things. Those games that are on that chart, have been there for years are popular. They became popular because the gamers decided that they were "good" and keep them on the charts. Sorry, but more people think that Dawn of War II is better than Rome:TW! You want to bring developers into this? Ok! Who do you want to ask first, Infinity Ward? Who's latest game was released on all platforms EXACTLY the same! Then the console version completely destroyed the PC one in terms of sales! How about Crytek, who said they wouldn't develope on a console or bring Cysis over. Not only did they lie, but they developed a whole new engine for Crysis on the consoles! How about Epic? They made Gears Of War one of the most Popular FPS games on a console ever and the PC version sucked!! How about id software who has been pretty negative toward PC gaming for the last few years! They also have a new engine coming out for the consoles!

These were all dedicated, PC only, game developers, who have totally jumped ship for console development. So much for flexibilty huh? Bend over

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Wait Gears of War was an FPS?

I find it a bit ludicrous that you would think that RTSes are the only thing that would save PC gaming. And the top 10 charts actually don't represent much, I mean the Sims is there. Does that mean the Sims will save PC gaming? Probably not.

In addition Warrior, the top 10 is flawed in the fact that it's merely a general consensus, everyone has differing opinions on what game is good and what isn't, (personally R:TW>DOW2) hence the fact that you call SMC narrow minded for merely having an opinion contradicts your own statement.

There is one thing though, it's about the money, there's more of a potential market in consoles since almost everyone wants to buy one(and the world is full of simpletons, but I digress) and each console has a following. I'd find it odd if there wasn't a company who didn't develop at least 1 console game, it would be basically a move that's unwise beyond anything, missing out on a huge chunk of market share. The only company that comes to mind is Deep Silver who has stayed faithful.

14. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

First, I was not the one who said the RTS genre would save PC gaming. I just showed the chart to prove that they would not! The problem with the PC is a little more than it's games. What is "general consensus", majority rules? If they 'majority" say something is good and they buy it, then that item will become popular, it's that simple. This explains why the same games, and maybe not the game "you" like is on or off the chart. It also explains that there is no new blood flowing through the PC's veins. So why is his opinion any different from mine or anyone else? I'm narrow minded for having an opinion, the majority of players who's opinion is that a certain game is good are narrow minded, and he's not? Now your going from narrow mindedness to hypocrisy!

I agree 100% with you that money is root of all evil here. There is absolutely no incentive to do anything special on the PC...none! What happened to all that "flexibility"? The console is driving the industry right now, and is the major focus of development. The PC is an afterthought. So, is the "simpleton" the one who buys a $500 or $600 videocard and puts it on a small monitor, and/or plays games such as Wow or the Sims. None of the top 10 games on that chart are world beaters in the graphic department. The PC is not and will not, live up to it's potential. The console is exceeding it's potential.

15. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

PC gamers are not and never will be casual gamers, PC gamers are the hardcore very tech savy bleeding edge technology know it alls of gaming. They usually posses multiple consoles but are constantly on the PC.

The console as we know it is on it's last round. for the console to compete and justify $400 they have to become more like the PC where as PC's in tune with Bill Gates original dream are a homes central entertainment item, music, movies, email, games, education, communication,work, controls other in house electronics, heck I even watch TV on my PC.

the Xbox360 2.5 years and the PS3 4 years before they are deceased (while the PS2 will still sale 100,000 units a month)
    Nintendo has to come up with another gimmick or all they will have left is the DS because xbox360 and PS3 are emulating the Wii's main selling point with project natal and the PS motion controller.

The next Gen consoles will basically be computers with mostly downloadable content and heavy proprietary software and very little if no media at all. Maybe flash drives or something so you can take your game to your friends house. No more BIG BOX STORE to get games unless your using their broadband to rapidly download your item. speaking of broadband

Onlive to me is a joke. I see it as those other pay per play sites that offered classic games. I don't know how successful they were but I never hear anyone talk about them as far as paying and playing. PING is a harsh reality in MP games and now they want everything on a few servers, NO WAY horrible experience because most people only use less than 1 mb download speed because of price inflation plus what about ISP that have a cap on monthly bandwidth? Not to mention rural areas still without Broadband services. Onlive will slightly work for old games where the technology can be heavily compressed for this to work.

But fstate of the art bleeding edge games and gaming technology is still the responsibility of the PC. and maybe Macs if Apple was smart.

16. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

This has turned into a flame war between PC and console gamers.

Just remember you need a PC to make a console game. PC represents future technology with individual preferences and setups, consoles are what can easily be made and mass marketed.

You can't compare a core I7 or Phenom II system w/ a Directx 10 or 11 video card (maybe even two video cards) running on a 64bit OS to a console that for the most part was old technology in comparison to a PC when it was released. Consoles are for mass marketing appeal. PC are for those that have to have new technology right now.

If a PC game sells 500,000 to 1 million copies it's successful. (very little advertisement, no licensing fees, no big box store fees)
    console games have to sell multiple millions because Sony and Microsoft " loose money on every console sold" and they have to recoup all that money back from "advertising 24/7, licensing fees, taking up aisles at the BIG BOX stores etc..

yeh PC games have bugs and need patches because no two computers are the same. even if they use the same exact parts they are not the same because of performance "plus or minus ratios" of the parts. not to mention different OS and updates to those and people who "overclock their PC's but for PC gamers it's part of the trill like owning a manual transmission and self tuning your car instead of just jumping in an automatic and putting it in "D"

If i had to patch a console game i would seriously take it back because that shows lazyness in the developer working on a known system and it's +/- ratios to put out unfinished crap. Where as a PC developer (this isn't an excuse developer) didn't know that I installed a cpu and a video card released a week after his game and I made those parts work 13 and 11 percent better than they were manufatured for. PC are constant change. Both have their good and bad but are for different groups of gamers.

Besides most console only gamers don't understand what's inside their box but a PC gamer could tell you how many shaders a Xbox360 has or how many spe's the PS3 has.

17. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

18. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 New Member

I know many "true" PC gamers and they don't own a console! You sound like Crytek and Infinity Ward, you jumped ship. Also, alot of PC gamers are NOT tech savy and have pre-built systems and don't upgrade them. The console is in it's 5th generation, is dominating the market, and hitting it's stride. Anyone saying the console is dying is ignorant and should be laughed at. A Core I7 or Phenom II system w/ a Directx 10 or 11 video card (maybe even two video cards) running on a 64bit OS huh? Two DX10 or DX11 cards? Wow, sounds "EXPENSIVE"!! Tell everyone here what DX10 and DX11 games you're playing right now? What DX11 games have you already played? I just can't wait for the answer!!! Sounds like a whooole lot of wasted money to me! OnLive is a joke right now, and even if they get it up and running the way they want. As long as I have the ability to purchase a game and own it, I won't pay subscription fees to play it. The PC does have bugs, patches, crashes, loading issues, system requirements, ect. All of these things are headaches. The consoles ease of use, developement, market penetration, and profit margins, that developers love make it the focus of their efforts. Thus giving it great games...first!!! The console is in the famliy room, the PC is in the back room! The console makers are breaking even on the machines now, they also get Licenseing fees, and royalty fees, on their games. The console is hardly in trouble, the PC can't say as much. Remember, list those games! LOL,LOL,LOL HAHAHAHAH!!!

19. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

Representing console gamers all over the world:

Truly his argument is masterful, his points incisive and his rhetoric supreme.

20. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

How have they 'jumped ship'? In both of your examples the game was/is going to be released on PC. If you thought, even for one second, that the reason those developers started supporting consoles was because of a lack of flexibility on the PC platform, then you are severely mistaken. To even suggest that is ludicrous - you can't even change graphical settings on console games, how's that for flexibility? The sole reason they have done this is money. Nothing else even comes into the equation when developing games any more, the market has just become too big and there is too much money to be made by supporting all platforms rather than only one. The negative connotations implied by the term 'console port' are testament enough to the fact that PC ports from console games are hampered by the console's lack of flexibility.

And you never answered the indirect question in my previous post. What is it that you hate about PC gaming and/or PC gamers so much that you feel you have to go on crusade against us to prove that we are wrong in choosing the PC, the most free and consumer friendly platform available, as our gaming platform of choice?

I'm sorry, but your logic, to me, is unfathomable.

Tags: Add Tags