1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling is covering the top case fan bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dash, 17 Nov 2002.

1. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

I was going to build a external Water Cooling setup like this Exos
    http://koolance.com/products/ext-a01/ext-a01.jpg
    and build it on top but would but would covering the top exhaust fan be bad for the case air....or since its water cooled should it not matter....thanks

2. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Would be very bad....considering thats how it coolers *might water cool the cpu but its still uses an aircooled radiator

3. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

so as long as I keep the rad cool I should be ok then becuase I not sure how to fit the water cooling setup inside the pc-60 lian li since it pretty tight now in my case

here is what I was planning on doing but not sure if it will work becuase I heard that you should keep the resvior on top i think

-Rad on back of case
    -Resvior on top of case(where the top mounted fan was)
    -pump inside

4. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Dash - here's how I deal with a non top-mounted res
    [​IMG]
    (ignore the rad for now - it used to be on top of the case but I rebuilt the system upside down to try something out.
    It's the same principle either way).

As long as the system is properly bled for air (and leak-proof) while the res is at the highest point, I don't encounter any problems whether the res is at the top or the bottom in use.

All you have to do is ensure that the res outlet is below the waterline in the res at all times.
    Sanity check rebleeding just involves me tipping the case back on its' end again.
    _______

Regarding the original question, if you built it like the one in the koolance photo (and placed it on top), you'd still need to get air to the rad from below, ie - cut out your original blowhole to the size of the rad intake.

If you go with your second suggestion of mounting the rad on the back and the res on the top, you may find that your PSU does a good enough job of exhausting the case air.
    It may depend on whether or not you keep the existing intake fans on the front of the case and what PSU you're using. YMMV.

5. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

lol. only problem i see with that is that it wouldnt countinue to fill the roll of a res/airtrap after u turn it right side up. So if you have any smal leaks the air would build up

*Not a big problem but just one that came to me*

6. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

nice idea and case pug.....I think I am going to measure all my space in my Lian to see what I have open :D

7. Dash

Dash What's a Dremel?

:sigh:
    not enough room in there that I can see becuase I want to keep my HD rack so I guess I am going to have to build a external water cooling setup but not sure if it will be as good as a internal one since I haven't seen many around in the community :waah:

Last edited: 19 Nov 2002
  8. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

could always mount an external radiator *like hooked to the back* or use a black ice micro radiator on on of the 80mm fan ports.....im sure u have room for a pump somewhere in there

9. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

Leaks? We doan neeed no steenkin' leaks! :D

I don't use silicon hose or barbed fittings and all internal threads are o-ring sealed parallel threads, not taper with ptfe tape.
    Result - no leaks.

The fittings are oriented so that the outlet stays below the waterline whether it's vertical or horizontal, seems to work for me.

It does still act as a res, as in storing the head - and a flow indicator too, for that matter
    It also works as an airtrap the only time I need it, which is basically whenever I fill or bleed it.

... plus it looks the Ds Bs and I love it. :rock:

10. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yea, i dout everbody goes to those lengths to seal their system though :D

is the res completly full?

11. Pug

Pug What's a Heatsink?

No, it can be but I like to run it half full so the LED picks out the surface turbulence.

like this -
    [​IMG]
    :)

Tags: