1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is EVE Online for me?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by gcwebbyuk, 27 Sep 2011.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I am looking for a new game - see my thread on a SC2 replacement.

A friend has suggested Eve, but didn't get enough time to sell it to me...

I have looked at a couple of videos on You Tube and it looks interesting, but I worry about how much time you need to invest in it.

It looks like a much larger and more advanced of the old game Elite - is this true? If so, I might quite like it.

I will probably try the 14 day trial, but I have a very short attention span at the moment (due to medication) and have bought several games in Steam sales and given up without spending much time:
    Arma 2
    Assasins Creed
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    BloodBowl
    Borderlands
    Braid
    Call of Juarez
    Deus Ex
    Dirt 2
    Guild Wars
    Half Life & Half Life 2 Box Set
    Just Cause
    Just Cause 2
    Metro 2033
    Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2 Box Set
    NFS: Undercover
    Portal
    Resident Evil 5
    Stalker: Call of Pripyat
    Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Serious Sam HD 1 & 2
    Civilization IV Box Set
    Team Fortress 1 & 2
    Test Drive 2 Unlimited
    Tropico 3
    Two Worlds II

So as you can see I am pretty fussy when it comes to games, and think I have wasted far too much money on games that I complete within a day or so.

I get the idea that Eve could take up a large chunk of my spare time, and could even be worth the £15/month cost.

So is it for me? :worried:

2. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

If you have a short attention span, i wouldn't say it was for you.

Eve isn't just time consuming, at the start it's rather tedious to learn if you've not got someone to walk you through it.

Even then, i'd probably say you need to play for a week at least before you get to do anything interesting (like a bigger ship) and it's "standard" since all training is based on actual "Time" rather than how much you play/grind.

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

You can get a 21 day trial if you want, just need to send you a invite.

Game is good, its a very complex and time consuming game, more you put in more you get out.

4. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I love EVE! I will never be able to speak enough about it, but at the same time I fully acknowledge that it is one of the most difficult games I have ever played.

If a short attention span is hindering you then I would say it is probably not your game. Its a love it or hate it type of thing. Even my co-workers who have quit still admit that it was the most involved and rewarding game they have ever played.

EVE can result in many hours of sitting around doing jack, but when you get into an epic small fleet battle there is no other comparison. The exhilarating rush is unlike any other game (perhaps because you know on the other end there is someone just as nervous and excited as you), but you will get frustrated, you will likely get angry, and you will find moments of boredom.

Its kind of like fishing, once you catch a monster sized fish you can never give it up, no matter how many bum trips you have.

5. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

eve is like a second job without pay but with internet spaceships and people who want your money. If you do try it without help from a friend try to join "eve-u" they are basically *the* rookie corp :)

6. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Didn't they just have some drama recently?

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

It's not a good game if you want action. Combat is probably closer to a turn-based RPG than anything.

8. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Well yes and no Kiytan... The build up for the PVP is slow but the battles are intense. Espically the AAA Vs. IT battles in 0.0 where stations are being raided.

I've been playing Eve on and off for about 2 years. If you want pvp then its a good game. The PVE is good too but gets boring at times. I'm mainly a carebare so I mine alot. I provide lots of minerals for my corp to build with. But I still have some PVP and PVE ships for when they are needed.

The game also depends on your gaming style. Do you want instant money? Then you run missions. Do you want to slower paced game but make alot of money? Then you want to mine. Do you want to blow the crap out of other players? Then you want to PVP with a good PVP corp.

Check this out too: http://www.eveonline.com/careerguide/ Its worth the read to see some of the things you can do in Eve.

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Avoid it.

Try wow trial instead.

10. Fuganater

:eeek:

Don't go to WoW. It will consume your soul.

11. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I've tried Eve out before, and cant seem to get the hang of it...

The tutorial was pretty useless (including bugged quests).

If anyone has free time sometime, can they do a playthrough (play from the start) with me and show me the ropes?

12. Fuganater

I would be more than willing to if my lag wasnt so bad. Since I moved its hard to play when there isnt lag. Its not the game. Its just my shitty African internet.

13. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I played Eve for three and a half years, and since quitting that I've played WoW for three and a half years, which I've also recently quit.

Saying one is better than the other really is like comparing an apple and an orange.

They're both fruit.
    Some people like just one, some people like both.
    Eat too much of either one and you'll be plastering the porcelain throne before you know it.

If you liked Elite then you will more than likely like Eve Online. The game has changed significantly since 2007/08 when I probably last logged in so here's the basics.

- You are a cyborg, and you live in a "pod" of goo which links you to your ship
    - Your ship has Shields, Armour and Hull
    - Generally you will either Shield tank or Armour tank, depending on race and the exact vessel you fly
    - Your weapons will be Projectile, Rail/Blaster, Laser or Missile based again depending on race and vessel
    - You don't get XP, instead you train skills which take a certain amount of minutes or hours or days or weeks to learn and give you the ability to use in-game items such as ship flying skills, harder-hitting missiles, better tanking, etc; there are also "improvement" skills which, say, increase rate of fire, or allow you to carry more cargo
    - There are three main profession lines, and you shape your character skills accordingly, although after time you will be able to fill multiple slots as the skills overlap; they are
    -- Industrialist, which will include mining, hauling, trading and production/research/sciences
    -- PvE combat, where you focus heavily on your tanking skills and strategy
    -- PvP combat, where you hit hard and try not to die, usually using fast ships that can't be hit easily

The last time I heard, they gave you a block of skill points when you start a new character which you could then have instantly applied to any skills you could learn in time; if they still do this, max out learning skills. If not, or if they no longer exist, ignore this. The learning skills make you learn stuff faster.

14. Fuganater

Learning skills are gone now. Doing all of the introduction missions give you tons of skill books and new ships now. They have redone the new player area 2-3 times since you quit Zoon.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Problem with Eve is you have to pay a lot of money to not have any fun for months before you can afford do anything interesting. I gave up.

16. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

There is some misinformation in this thread, Eve requires very little time (8 hours to train for a hero rifter) to get involved with,

Yes supporting PVP with industry or PVE is pretty much needed, or if you want to be a trader or w/e and market games to become hellishly rich (like myself) with a little knowledge.

My corp recruits out of game and gets new players into fights within 8 hours, with the right wiki, guides and guidance from older members newer players get involved into the community and the game incredibly quickly.

Living in Empire and grinding missions will ultimately turn you off the game and give you a squewed opinion of the game. Living in 0.0 with friends who help each other, stick together and eek it out with bro's is in my opinion the only option of playing this horrific game. Often we play other games together while sitting on a titan, or waiting for fights.

Restricting yourself to one activity in eve is a good way to start and build up your knowledge but as an out and out large fleet fight guy (Hero Huginn pilot reporting in) you will find yourself adding strings to your bow. In my case running lowsec/nullsec incursions, market games and small gang/bloc level pvp.

17. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I am just downloading the 14 day trial - will see how I go - thanks for the replies :)

18. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

GL been playing since 2003. On a bit of a break atm though, which I tend to do every few years. Huge learning curve and can get a little grindy but have never experienced a pvp rush like it in any other game I have played. If you make it through the first few months you'll get hooked long term.

Another overlooked point. You can buy game time with in game currency from other players, so ifyou have decent income the game can pay for itself!

As I said good luck!

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Yahtzee from Zero punctuation:
    "EVE players are to nerds what nerds are to normal people"

I have tried EVE, never managed to get into it, but would like to give it another go soon. The thing i found most impressive about EVE is that is is the only TRUE sandbox game out there. You can literally do anything you want and sell any service you can come up with, and it is being done and rewarded on a scale no other game can match.

At the same time, there is this extreme learning curve. Even with a good tutorial or people that help you along, the information to process and the world to discover is just so staggeringly vast, there seems to be no end to it. There's this famous learning curve pic to illustrate that:
    [​IMG]

If you want hardcore, professional playerbase, continuous gameplay and insanely deep game mechanics, yes, this game is absolutely for you. Also, as the people above who have played it more then i have will attest, it is a game that allows you to schedule your playtime around your life, as opposed to the other way around. It's THE best game in existance... if you can get into it.

20. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have gone through the second tutorial "quest" where you have to shoot at a fuel depot and then shoot down a couple of pirate ships.

I can't believe how much there is to do! It certainly has a LOT going on.

The visuals were pretty immense too.

I think at the moment I will have to leave it as my attention spans are just too short (damn these drugs!).

Certainly a game I will come back to when I am better.