1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is EVE Online for me?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by gcwebbyuk, 27 Sep 2011.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

It depends entirely on your game play and how you wanna roll it. You could pay with in-game isk (the currency of EvE) for a time code once every month (in reality a time code bought with real money comes in 2 month slots, so for every 2 months you pay for your sub with in-game money for the next two months after); it essentially halves your monthly fee. You can even pay each month if you want. Once you get established enough (this depends on how much time you spend in the game and quickly you get proficient at it...for me this was 3 months) you can pay for each month with in0game isk without feeling a hit.

That early on though, paying each month for the sub will mean that you will take a bit of hit if you don't play enough or are proficient enough - this is dependant on how quickly you learn the inner workings of how to earn isk...there are more than a dozen viable ways to earn a lot of isk. Having said that it is definetely possible to get good at it quickly eg. for a personal challenge I made 1bil isk starting from 3mil cash injection within 1.5 months...one months' sub price is equivalent to around 300-375mil isk, so essentially thats a lot of isk you have earned.

Money is a big part of the game, the bigger better things cost more, but money alone doesn;t get you very far. You need the actual in-game skills trained, you need to know the game mechanics, you need absolute skill and you need to know your limits. There is no point flying a 1bil isk ship when one that is 50mil will do the job, and where you are not able to properly utilise the 1bil isk ship because you don't have the proper skills for each subsection of that ship's abilities. The general rule is the more expensive the ship the better your individual skills for each sub-section should be otherwise you are risking isk...but again the choice is left up to you. In the initial stages of the game you do not need vast amounts of isk to enjoy it and get involved and understand the mechanics...in fact it is necessary to teach you one of the games fundamental principles.

The most basic rule of EvE: Never fly anything you cannot afford to lose, including whats in the cargo hold. Anything you fly can be destroyed, at any time, though there are areas more protected than others. And there is NO SAVE point, no regeneration of items or recover of life. No respawn. Once you die you lose everything you have on you at that point...your clone does reactivate, but you can lose a lot when you die...of course your character is still alive....however, unlike other games, you don't carry everything with you all the time - thats what stations are for. But because what you fly is at stake, especially in PvP, expensive ships (relative to your stage, so initially even a 1mil ship will seem expensive) the 'fear' of losing that ship gives you a huge amount of an adrenaline rush, like no other game I have ever played. A successful PvP op gives you a huge buzz, believe you me.

The game is about how YOU want to enjoy it and how you want to earn your isk, eg. scams are a viable way of earning isk, but this taints your reputaion and hence its best using a seperate character for this...each account allows up to 3 characters at any one time. You always tend to have one main long-term one and the rest you fiddle with here and there. However, scamming is bad business if you wanna get anywhere in the game as its something most people abhor, but is an accepted part of the game. Hence, to scam properly you'd need a seperate account so your dealings could not be traced in any way your main character on your initial account. But as I said there are dozens of ways toi earn isk...trading, manufacturer, hauler contracts, Missions PvE, Invention, mining, research, exploration, wormholes, npc pirate hunting, player bounty hunting, scams, pirating, political inflitration/spies, manipulation.....I can go on...each of these aspects can be broken down...so essenitially you can enjoy the game as you earn. For me the most fun is in PvP - earning isk via that is hard as PvP is an expensive profession...you need to fund it with isk making ability.

Fanatic likes this.
  2. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I don't know why you are painting a bad picture of scamming, my corp scams, I scam and pretty much everyone in our coalition scams, saying it wont get you anywhere is pretty silly. Hell goons have been scamming since day 1 freeing stupid people from their money for years and still they have people trying to pay their "security deposit" to join.

To get anywhere is basically how much isk you can make, how hard you can fight and what you can bring to the table diplomatically. If you are a complete moron with no social skills you will find eve hard. If you have social skills then you will excel, as eve is about working in groups, building a culture and working together to achieve a common goal.

oh and pvp in eve stands for player vs people

Last edited: 15 Oct 2011
  3. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Sirfur your enthusiam and knowledge are admirable, thank you for the constructive post. Will play the 14 days out and see whats what, makes sense so far - as a newb, fastest way to turn over isk? mining?

4. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Oddly enough the tutorial missions will make you a more than enough for starting skills, after that use a mining bot, **** it, im just being honest.

5. SirFur

Thanks

Fastest way is buy paying for time code and selling that in-game for isk. :)

But that means actual real money being used...its not a 'I win' button...all it lets you do is access to funds. You still need to train skills etc and learn how to use the in-game items...the higher up you go the more complex it is for a beginner so starting basic is what all the game is about.

Fastest way to make isk isn't necessarily the best. AT different points in your EvE career you will find different interests...so I would suggest try everything and make isk the way you find most enjoyable. A lot of professions initially will be closed to you because you are not going to have the skills trained, or the capital to start up, or the knowledge and contacts, or assests. Just play the game and see where it takes you! :)

PS. A mining bot is illegal and CCP will find it...and when they do ban your account and even your IP address so do not use them.

Skills train in real time even when your offline so technically the first players who started in 2003 will have forever more skill points than you....but you can still BEAT a higher skilled player. Those skills allow for better weapons, better abilities, better knowledge but they are just as easily killable than yourself...they just will win more often because they know the game better, not just
    because their skills are better. To kill higher leveled players will require more absolute skill compared to them, a little luck, and mostly help from others. 2-3 new players can take down a lone older player with teamwork easy.

6. SirFur

Just to add folks steam has EvE Online on offer for the next 16hours from now for £3.75, including 30 days game time and 21 day free trial. If you been meaning to try the game then GO FOR IT!!

7. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

yep took the jump for that sort of deal its worth giving it a go

8. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Arrgh lol havent had chance to check back here since I posted above (too busy playing the trial)! Missed the steam special - just typical!!

Anyhow am totally engrossed and will be purchasing one way or the other.

Does it actually matter which version is purchased? For example there is this 'special edition' that comes with a free ship (apparently a shuttle) and 60 days game time: - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/8315846/EVE-Online/Product.html

Or this: - http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/Eve...e-Online:-Commissioned-Officer-Edition-_-link

Both work out way better deals than the normal Steam price anyway.

Plus I assume it is safe to buy gametime from US sites in dollars and take advantage of the exchange rate?

9. SirFur

The steam standard price is £14.

No it does not matter where you get your game time code from, even for when you activate a trial to a subbed account....you just enter the account management section on the EvE website and head to the extend game time section to apply the code....I tend to use American websites as the currency conversion rate with £££ helps me get the subs cheaper. Works at around £11-ish per month using a 60-day time code - better than most 30 day new activation offers out there. Its usually cheaper to just get the 60 day GTC to activate. I'm unsure of that second link you made...just double check it does come with 30 day time code...it should do so as it says its the EvE Online starter pack, which comes with the 30 day code for new accounts only (or trial).

The website I use for GTC also has the game's most popular public killboard for PvP kills. The main EvE page on Battleclinic.