1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Is IPS all that?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 17 Jul 2010.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I don't think that I could go back to a 16:9 monitor. My only gripe is that when watching movies that you always get black bars. And 16:10 monitors are becoming harder and harder to find.

2. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Black bars don't bother me. I can sort of see why they annoy people, but they never bother me. I was attracted to the U2410 partly out of the old school ratio, and the other advantages. And because I want the three way set up eventually, I wanted a monitor that'll stick around, and the Dell one seems popular enough that even if Dell do go insane and stop making them, I'll be able to find one second hand easily enough.

3. Elledan

Elledan New Member

Don't see it as black bars. See it as space for media player controls and such ;)

Elton likes this.
  4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

So many movies, even with a 16:9 display you still get black bars...
    In fact Only blu-ray formatted movies you won't get some. And those movies, pass through the same treatment as full screen movies, where they cut the side, and zoom in digitally on the picture to fill your screen.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If a movie is kept in it's original 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 format, then you will always have black bars. This is preferable.. you're seeing it as it was seen in the cinema. I wouldn't want them converting to 16:9.

BTW... I'm now gonna pull the trigger on the Eizo SX3031W... hopefully it will be here Friday :)

[EDIT]

Here are you order details:
    1 x EIZO FlexScan SX3031W 30" Widescreen Monitor (SX3031W-BK-UK) £1,575.00

Sub-Total: £1,575.00
    UK Delivery Services -Shipped via Citylink Couriers (16 Kilo)(Next working day by 12:00 (Morning) - £12 up to 10Kilos, then £0.45 per kilo afterwards): £14.70
    VAT (17.5%): £278.20
    Total: £1,867.90

OUCH!... that hurt.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2010
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Pic's or it didn't happen, lol!

7. Pookeyhead

LOL... It has to arrive first. Order has been dispatched, so will be here before 12pm tomorrow.

8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

For the price of that monitor they bloody well should ship it to you free of charge! :)

Anyway, excited to hear how you're going to like it!

9. Pookeyhead

I'll let you know tomorrow night.

On a different topic, this is interesting: Remember I posted that on the NEC FAQ they say that the A-TW polariser is no longer available because the supplier no longer makes it? Well... I asked NEC about it, and here's the reply I got.

No mention of lack of supply.. now it's because everyone complained about it!! Funny that, seeing as the 2690WUXi is a absolute legend of a screen, and rightly so!

NEC are BSing it would seem.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Perhaps it just cost them a bit too many pennies. It's okay though, at least Eizo is still there. To bad though, all their Screens with the Polarizer were ace, especially the 2690. Too bad we'll never know what really happened.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Na, the response seemed honest enough. I would imagine a lot of people were buying them and not calibrating them correctly, therefore sending them back or contacting NEC and complaining.

12. Pookeyhead

The purple hue she talks about happens off axis with a A-TW polariser. Instead of the white glow that this thread has covered, it becomes a deep purple glow with A-TW. So I don't think it's a calibration issue. The purple off axis tint would still be present when profiled, just as the white glow is still present after profiling.

I doubt they've received more complaints about a very deep purple glow when viewed from HUGE viewing angles (and it is only visible massively off axis) than the bright white glow only slightly off axis without the polariser. Without the polariser, the white glow becomes apparent merely by moving your head a little to the side. The purple glow with the polariser is only visible if you get out of your seat and look at it almost edge on!

Oh well.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

when we see shiny shiny new toy?

14. Pookeyhead

Arrgh! Only just got connected. Connected to BE yesterday, and I'm having major issues. Will sort this out first.. back later

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:( Want pikchas now!

16. Pookeyhead

OK, ok... LOL

Been arguing with Be*.. sorry.

Ok...

Apologies for a messy desk.

[​IMG]

It's utterly, utterly awesome.

Whoever said all PVA screens suffer from gamma shift, think again.

Here's the Lagom viewing angle gamma test screen from normal viewing distance.

[​IMG]

Only barely perceptible gamma shift, which is awesome for a 30" screen.... and, get this... with the panel angled approx 65 degrees away from me (way more than I'll ever have it in real life)....

[​IMG]

STILL no gamma shift. This is actually better than the Dell was.

head on, shot with the camera on manual.
    [​IMG]

..and from 65 degrees off axis with exactly the same camera settings.
    [​IMG]

Colour shift is JUST starting to creep in to the extreme right hand side (the usual PVA yellow tint). Again, this is way further than I will ever have this off axis in real life.

It's fast too!
    [​IMG]

That's a black (0) to white (255) response time, and it's JUST starting to be visible on a second frame, so that's 16ms pure black to pure white. I don't have a shot for grey to grey, but it was too small to measure... well into single figures anyway, which for a large PVA panel is pretty good. There is no ghosting on moving objects anyway.

There is no perceptible input lag. Prad measured 30ms, or 2 frames, so I'll assume they are right. Either way, there is no lag I can detect.

It profiles to an average Delta E of less than 0.8. Full whack brightness yeilds contrast ratio of 830:1, which is healthy, and when profiled, it's 670:1, which is fine. Full blast brightness was measured at 390mcd/m2, which is eye searing. After profiling, it's at 170mcd/m2 with black level of 0.18mcd/m2, which is awesome compared to the Dell 3008's 0.35!

Talking of black levels, it's free of the dreaded IPS glow of course, and blacks remain acceptably deep until you reach crazy angles.

I shot a video with the same room lighting as the Dell video, but the black levels don't show at all.. in fact, all you can see is the wood coloured surface of the desk reflected in the panel because it's so dark. To prove that it was reflections, and not glow, I moved my arm around so you can see the reflection moving. The back lighting is not visible on the video unless I turn all the room lights out... but that's pretty obvious. The colour change of the vid, is the white balance on the phone getting confused by the lovely darkness :)

Gradients are sooooo smooth, even after profiling thanks to the 12bit LUT. Colours are utterly superb, and accurate. Untagged images in websites get a bit crazy as you would expect on a wide gamut monitor (97% Adobe RGB.. 102%NTSC), but in colour managed applications, it's lush.

There's a very fast, one button click way of switching from wide gamut to sRGB on the front panel should the gamut in unmanaged apps get too much.

Build quality is amazing. Feels like it's hewn from a block of granite. The finish of the plastics is fabulous.

Basically... you can see why this is £1800 and the Dell is £1100.

I'm very happy... who needs IPS :p

My only complaint is the AG coating is a little coarse compared to my old FWP2405.. but nowhere near as coarse as the frosted glass, sparkly effect of the 3008. Also, even at calibrated 170mcd/m2, it's still a little too bright. And HDCP is only over the single link DVI, not the Dual... Doh!. I don't have a blu ray player though.

Last edited: 25 Jul 2010
  17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Congratulation on finding a screen that finally fits your need :thumb:

Damn that is a nice looking screen :jawdrop:

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That is...beautiful, even with pictures. I am jealous, just outright jealous.

With that said, The LCD2690WUXi is close to this one in awesomeness. But that is truly an excellent monitor..

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

Great, so pooky has one of the most craziest home backup solution probably on this forum, and one of the best screens short of dropping £2K on.

Love the screen!

20. Pookeyhead

Crazy? Nothing crazy about a back up, then backing that up to a server, then backing that up to a NAS, then backing that up to another NAS in a different building. Doesn't everyone do that? :)

Yeah.. it's a crazy amount of money, but like I said in another thread somewhere, some people spend as much or more on their PC, which will be obsolete in half the time this monitor's warranty runs for, and besides, I could have got the Eizo CG301 at £2900 :). I had the Dell FWP2405 for 5 years, and now my wife has it. It's still going strong. The only sign of it's age is it's maximum brightness is only 180 mcd/m2 compared to around 300 when it was new. This is still too bright for daily use though, so I reckon another 3 years to get out of that before it becomes hard to calibrate.

So, based on that, it's not unlikely that I will still have this panel in 5, 6 maybe more years unless something demonstrably better comes out. It's a good investment.

Anyway, I just hope this thread may be of use to someone googling "IPS black levels" or something.