1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is is ever okay to say you don't like a present?

Discussion in 'General' started by Guinevere, 2 May 2020.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I don't think there's anything that wrong about asking to change it if it's something in particular you were really wanting, but just wanted to say I don't think this paragraph matters, well done on being in a financial position where you could get them what they wanted, but if they couldn't afford to buy you the item which sounds really expensive, they wanted to get you something instead of just money towards it, really not unreasonable.

bawjaws likes this.
  2. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I'd have built the sets, or at least made a concerted effort to do so in full view of the kids. Kept all the packing close together leave it a few months package up as best as possible and sell on Ebay for the loss. Its money you didn't have to begin with.

'I might flog some of my sets to get this, would you be offended? I've built it once and enjoyed it but would like this set next'

It may not work but I think kids take this to heart more than adults, even if their contribution is (financially & logistically) minimal they feel a part of the process they want to see your face light up and while you haven't got that feeling I wouldn't want to be the one to crush that warm fuzzy feeling they were hoping for.

Saying I bought this, that and the other thing. Therefore I expect you to nail presents for me isn't quite how it all works... neither does 'You spent this much if I'd have been informed I would have taken the sum of money and spent it in other ways'

I'm probably wrong... I usually am....

bawjaws likes this.
  3. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

Well, it's not quite the same thing... It would be like if your gf wanted a Taylor or a Martin and you could only afford to get them an Epiphone. You wanted a Lego Millennium Falcon, they got you one. It just wasn't the fancy expensive one that you really wanted.

Now I don't know the thought processes at work here, but it sounds like they may have felt the £650 Lego set was a bit out of their range and tried to get you another similar set that was in budget (plus a couple of other bits too, perhaps in recognition that they couldn't get you the set you really wanted).

DeadP1xels and GeorgeStorm like this.