1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it just me...?

Discussion in 'General' started by sam.g.taylor, 3 Oct 2007.

1. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Yes, because idle threats over the internet, are a mature way of dealing with something. Who was it that said, when fighting over the net, both participents will wind being losers, albeit in different ways? :thumb:

Chill out, swearing is one of those things where everyone under the sun will have a different take on it. To be honest, I'd say words upto shit are not swearing, and yet f*** and "see you next tuesday" are. However, you get people who also think the lightest words are swearing such as bloody and hell. (Or both together, despite the fact if there was a hell, it would most likely be quite bloody)

Like I said, everyone has a different view on what constitutes swearing. For the benifit of users on the forum, i'd suggest keeping it to a low, as people surf BT at work, college, and even at home around children.

Just my 2p

*awaits flaming*

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

i prefer to see wtf or f*** instead of nothing at all - this way the sentence/post gets understood in the way it was meant without having to really go all the way. A little bit of law & order keeps things nice & civil, no need to go overboard & ban all suggested or implied swear words, a little bit of fun is a good thing.
    A couple of times i've been really impressed by a project log and upon seeing it i've thought to myself "f@$# yeah!", so that's exactly what i've posted to try and let the modder "hear" the emotion my post.
    i'm such a poet i know :D

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

There are more in that thread, but I was just scanning. Like someone else said. Its passive aggressive. More:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=140163&page=3 (this is a prime example)

It wouldn't be a manual thing. In the same way that words are replaced with ***'s they could simply be replaced with the orriginal word plus the markup needed for the styling to work. It wouldn't work with CSS turned off.

Didn't quite mean it like that. More literally, I'd start using that report post button. I tend not to, as people have a right to their views, but some of his posts are beyond opinion.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

We don't really need a police force on bit-tech's forums - I think most people would agree that it runs fine without one.

5. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Ok fair enough, just came across as bit of a threat. Oh by the way, quoted me twice :)

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I don't think swear tags would work either - people just wouldn't bother. Nexxo is on the right track. We allow personal power and demand personal responsibility. We are responsible ourselves and monitor the forums constantly - a lot of the time though you just don't see it because the offensive posts are utterly removed.

That responsibility is two ways and, frankly, I don't want to go down the path of catering to worksafe PCs. Sure, we want lots of people to read the site and access the forums from wherever and we do our best to keep them clean - the main site should never be a problem in that way. On the other hand, if we made the forums utterly worksafe and you then got in trouble for reading forums at work and not doing your job then it's likely we'd get hatemail about that too.

Children need to be protected, adults need to protect themselves. Not like we have a lot of kids on this site anyway, especially given how technical our content is. The youngest person I know here is Mankz, who is 15 IIRC, and who as (to my knowledge) never had a problem with the swearing or content on the site. Just like the vast majority.

It's fine to have and maintain a standard. It isn't fine to start forcing those opinions on others.

Just my personal opinion.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2007
  7. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

But you were drunk.
    And you do swear.
    And you cannot temper your responses.

But I will not be the other party in this arguement. Thrash it out with yourself.

What this police rubbish? I just said I was trying to maintain standards. The police don't maintain Coding Standards, but code that doesn't adhere to them is frowned upon or simply doesn't work.

8. will.

It could be done automatically.

And WireFrame, I'm dropping this now. Its on the floor, being ignored. If you decided to pick it up again, its on you.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

This isn't meant to come across in the way you're likely to take it, but the last time I looked, you weren't a moderator? We don't run around like a police force here because that just adds distance between the people that (in many cases voluntarily) help to run the forum and the community itself. In my opinion, bit-tech is a very community-driven site and having an "us and them" scenario certainly isn't the way I want the community to be run - the moderators are volunteers in the community, at the end of the day. If you add that to the fact that most of the staff were originally community members too - I hope that gives you the sense of my intentions of how bit-tech should be run. The community is our gold.

If you have a problem with someone's conduct there is no need to put your oar in, because that lowers you to their level - there's a report post button there for a reason. It's so that a moderator can address the problem at hand, rather than having to step in at a later date and clear up a riot because someone has decided to put their oar in. And if you have a problem with a moderator, I'm more than happy to take that up via email.

10. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

WireFrame, you jus quoted yourself, not will.

I think, refering back to my previous post at the top of the page, this is an example of different standards in what consitutes swearing. WireFrame appears to see swearing as a bad thing, with a higher volume of words being regarded as swearing, and so is more restrained, to avoid offending people. Will. however, is more liberal with swearing, and doesn't see why people should be offended when swearing is brought into general conversation.

The solution? Tolerate each other. It's the internet, and even in real life nobody is the same.

11. will.

Its not that I don't see why people should be offended. I would write something else now, but I've been on this forum too much already today, so I'll quote Nexxo:

12. WireFrame

I know :)

I know what you mean, and I accept that. I also appreciate that issues raised by community members are addressed by the mods. But that doesn't mean we should stop raising them. :)

Thankyou. I hope I never take you up on that offer.

13. will.

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

@ Nexxo

Classic :thumb:

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, but my post was already out of date by the time I hit "reply" (things move fast in this thread), that I removed it. But I'll leave the image, since y'all like it (I do). :D

[​IMG]

With apologies to people with Down's syndrome, who I generally hold in much higher regard than the rest of humanity.

16. WireFrame

I like the one where he's running on a rally car trach, with the machine leaing over a hillock behind him....Anyone got that one?

EDIT:
    Actually, thats not it either....

There's a matrix one too...

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Man, I can't even conceive of the search string I would have to put into Google Image Search to get that one...

OK, Google challenge, everyone! :D

18. WireFrame

"owned retard"
    (First!)
    sorta...

19. quack

quack Minimodder

Scunthorpe.

20. RTT

RTT #parp