1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Is it possible to cut a TFT panel?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by silverdirk, 19 Mar 2009.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I thought there would be rigid material on both sides. If not, ofcourse i'd agree with you to cut the thin one first :)

2. Sushi Warrior

Sushi Warrior What's a Dremel?

I still don't get why you don't just cut it around an inch or 2 too big so you can't see any of the black, dead pixels. No complicated solutions, you'd just need an inch or 2 of extra space behind the mounting for the panel.

3. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

Cutting an lcd to damage only 1 or 2 inches of pixels is no easy task, look how widespread the damage was in Smilodon's attempt.

4. Richh999

Richh999 Small Time Modder

Maybe freezing it with ln2, to stop the liquid from running and then laser cutting it at the same time could work. I would try but I'm not allowed to take the ln2 out of the labs and too the laser cutter, sorry.

I think your biggest problem is applying force to keep the layers together with out breaking the lcd. It would most likely be best to cut the glass last if you are going to cut it in layers.

However I do believe that this is possible to do, or well I can't see why it wouldn't work...

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

A small update on my second try:

It was a complete failure. I was going along nicely. Leaving maybe 6mm of dead pixels along the end. After getting half way across the screen the cutting wheel on my Dremel dug in and ripped the layers apart ruining everything. :(

6. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

Keep up the good work and better luck next time!

I have a Compaq (i forget the model) but it has a 15in or so screen on it. but i fired the mobo. I could donate it if needed.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2009
  7. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

sounds to me from that attempt, that this will be possible. just very difficult. I just don't know if it will creep over time. Keep trying though, and try to get some old lcds to try on, this could et expensive fast.

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Win thread. :thumb:

Extremely doubtful that this would work, given that you only get one or two shots at this.

I would say... Your e-peen would increase by about 3847209857x10^91304134 if this is successful.

9. aglaser

aglaser What's a Dremel?

My first impression upon reading the title of this thread was that cutting a TFT display panel would be impossible. However, both of smilodon's attempts suggest to me that, in fact, it can be done. Both times, though there is obvious and widespread damage, the screen still functions (at least, I assume it does the second time -- he said there was just a 6mm strip of dead pixels at the bottom until his dremel caught). At this point, it's just damage control -- and my guess is that his second attempt failed from nothing more than bad luck. Interesting thread, look forward to more ideas!

P.S. 3847209857x10^91304134 is not correct scientific notation! Correctly, it would be 3.847209857x10^91304134000000000. Geez, get your random numbers correct.
    Incidentally, though, I agree with the effect on his e-peen...

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Could the vibration from the dremmel cutting process be what damaged the pixels? Six millimeters is still a pretty big band.

Clamping could be a problem as it does not evenly distribute the stress.

Cooling the pannel as mentioned before might help, but how would the localized heating of the cutting process affect it?

11. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I really think this could work. As long as you sealed the end of the cut. 6mm seems to be quite acceptable!

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

how about using a tile saw? VERY SLOWLY!

13. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I think a Laser cutter is the only way this could work. No physical stress on the layers and the heat would close the edge at the same time.
    Anyone has one around? :D

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Hmm. Thinking about it, melting the plastic layers before cutting could help. Just drag a soldering iron on maximum temperature over the cut line. Then cutting it carefully. Could work. You would still get dead pixels a few millimeters from the edge, though. It's impossible to avoid.

15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

This is definitely an interesting discussion, I was just wondering if a hot wire cutter would be enough to seal the edges before you try to cut the glass backing? The temperature would have to be pretty high but it *might* be possible.

Just a thought but if it works then you could use a common or garden glass cutter to snap off the excess, no need for diamond powder dremel wheels.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Even if the plastic is melted, it would probably still hold the glass together, preventing a clean score and break. Butting with Dremel would probably be a bit safer.

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I want to see one of the mod gods with a frivolous budget attempt this. :D

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

That seems to be what's happening, albeit with a slightly smaller budget...

No, it's 3.847209857x1091304143, obviously. ;)

(10x x 10y = 10x+y, not 10x*y)

Last edited: 29 Mar 2009
  19. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Car guys would cut safety by puring a little lighter fluid in the cut and lighting it on fire to deal with the plastic in it. I think the iron would have to be really hot for it to work instead.

20. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

^^^math nerds. :p