1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Is it possible to use a remote server as an internet gateway?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shaolyen, 5 Oct 2007.

1. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

A client of mine has a site where some of the content is restricted by IP, so if anyone outside of the US tries to access it they get denied. The problem for me is that because I'm working on the site I need to find a way around this restriction. To make matters worse, they apparently have some sort of proxy detection system, so a proxy server isn't going to work.

Is it possible to somehow set things up so I can connect to my Windows server in the US and use it as a gateway? So my PC in the UK would connect to the US server, and relay all data as if the UK PC was accessing the net from the US?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been looking into VMWare Virtual Appliances to achieve this somehow, but since I don't even know if this is possible I haven't been having too much luck.

2. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

What OS is the server in the states running?

If it is windows then just RDP to the box and then connect to the website or if it's linux setup an ssh tunnel for vnc.

3. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

Windows - but unfortunately it's not that simple. As part of the site is Wii compatible it has to be tested on a Wii, and so remote desktop is no good.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Sounds like you need some sort of funky VPN-ish setup.

5. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yeah, if you need to have something the Wii can use too then ditto to the VPN idea, but i'm not too sure how it world be implemented with the Wii.

DO you not have any friends in the US who have a Wii that could test the site for you?

Otherwise if you have a fixed external IP on your net connection you could talk your client into adding a filter to only allow your non-US IP access to the site, this might be the simplest option as it will allow you to get the job done for the client.

6. Shaolyen

Shaolyen Minimodder

Yep, if only I knew anything about setting up VPNs and connecting a Wii through one.

7. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Yeah... I'm trying to figure it out but am not having much luck, maybe set the VPN up on your PC to your client and then use your PC as a web proxy for the Wii? I think it would be easier to have your client white list your IP on their server/firewall (depending on what is filtering out the non-US IP's.

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

hamachi vpn tunneled over ssh ?

if the wii is on the same network as a pc, load hamachi on pc then bridge your local connection with the vpn connection.

9. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

You can't set a remote server as the gateway because your gateway is what would connect you to the remote server anyways, so that is impossible. What you would need would be a VPN as stated before. The easiest way would just be a PPTP VPN that has a server on one end and an appliance on another that connects to it so then both networks are one. You could set up an Endian box on both ends and use OpenVPN to connect both networks, or you can use some Cisco hardware to do this.

Tags: