1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is it safe to install PSU with its fan down?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Siwini, 5 Jan 2011.

1. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Is it safe to install PSU with its fan down in Xigmatek Utgard case? I always build my computers with PSU fan facing up, but I will definitely benefit in cable management if I install PSU fan facing down in this case.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

PSU fan is always pointing down. You were installing wrong all this time. (no joke), LOL!

3. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Depends on your case design? As long as the air can flow sufficiently it should be ok.

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Really?:) A lot of people doing that way are you telling me that they are all wrong? For example my old antec 900 has no vent, so what would you suggest drilling holes in bottom of my case?

5. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

If there's no vent in the bottom of your case, and your PSU is bottom mounted, the people who designed it are gay. That said, it's too late by the time the case is in your hands, so you have to install it with the fan facing up.

This will be less thermally efficient than the traditional top mount, or new-fangled bottom mount, because the ATX spec accounts for the PSU fan as part of the exhaust configuration and top mounted was de facto for years. It's definitely better than pointing the fan at a sheet of steel though!

6. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I see. Thank you for clearing that up. Yah it's said to see my buddys $60 Xigmatek Utgard case having vent, reather my antec 900 on the other hand dose not and cost twice as much. Outrage!

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Antec 300 designers must be friends of Dorothy then...

See my sig for what I did to resolve the problem.

pimonserry likes this.
  8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

face down if a vent is there, always best so it does not need the share the air flow with the rest of the hardware.

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Current high efficiency PSUs aren't really putting out enough heat or blowing enough air for me to care. Personally I prefer to have the fan mount up, as this way I don't have to clean the (usually hard to remove) bottom dust filter.

So yes, the "right" way is for the fan to face down if there's a vent, but in real life..

10. GoodBytes

To add to what Jipa said:

All you need is a small space at the bottom. That is all. Your case air fan is all you should need.
    Air is sucked by the fan of the PSU, and released on the back. Look at how (good) laptops don't even struggle with that setup (in my case I can even OC my laptop GPU to high speed and it doesn't complain with heat), and the space is extremely minimal. About an index finger space is really all you need.

If your PSU struggle, that means you are pushing your PSU too hard, so get one with a higher Watt, or you have a crappy one, or get a more efficient one.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  11. Jipa

Umm.. What that does have to do with the quote?

12. GoodBytes

Nothing, I was adding to you. Here fixed.

13. Jipa

Ah OK thanks for the clarification, I just didn't sleep last night and am a complete zombie and was wondering what on earth was going on :D

14. Remeniz

Remeniz Muted!

The Xigmatek Utgard case has two big openings in the bottom, one right under the PSU space.

Look...

So install the PSU fan facing down. The idea is that the PSU inhales from the outside via the bottom of the case and exhales through the rear.