1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is it time yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonicgroove, 26 Dec 2014.

1. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

My current rig (2500k@stock, 8gb ram, gtx460, 128gb SSD) has served me well for over 3 years now. Has anything been released yet that would persuade me to upgrade yet? I went from a Q6600, 4gb, HD4770 to this one, so would ideally be looking for a similar leap in speed difference.

I haven't really kept up with the advances over the last couple of years, as they all seemed to be either similar or inferior to what I had, apart from power usage. I'm not much of a gamer (I still play CM01/02 daily) but I am keen on photography, and use CS6 and LR regularly.

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Graphics Wise, like e you're 3 generations back and GPU's have moved on so fast its silly. CPU wise it wouldn't be a massive jump, but a worth while one. Unless you want to go X99 which although very good is also going to be expensive.

If you had a 3770k and went to the 4770k I would have said for the gains you would get are hardly worth the outlay.

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

My upgrade litmus test is if something I need my PC to do is too slow or incapable, upgrade.
    It is usually a game.

Currently, I have no issues.

Last edited: 27 Dec 2014
  4. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'd say oc that 2500k, with any decent cooler they'll hit 4.4-4.5ghz without an issue, though you'll have to up the voltage.

5. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

Thanks for that. I really don't use the graphics card enough to justify an upgrade. Even if I do update the rest, the gfx card will probably stay in till it dies a natural death. My 2500k is quite happy to sit at 5GHz all day long, with minimal effort. It's possibly the way to go I think, till DDR4 becomes the norm, and CPU's have at least doubled in performance. The Q6600 lasted 5 years before the creaks set in. I think the only benefit to me will be CS6 performance, but to be honest, I rarely wait over a second for it to apply any changes, and I would imagine another 8gb ram would offer some benefit there.

Thanks for clarifying the situation though.....I'll go spend all the cash on a nice Sony Full Frame camera instead :D

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^^This^^
    Wait to see how Skylake pans out in mid 2015, it's what I'm waiting for.
    By that time the GPU market will probably look much different as well.