1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is it worth upgrading this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docodine, 24 Oct 2008.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

[​IMG]

It's a random Dell that was cast-off by an office nearby. It's not half-bad, and I've been comfortably using it. The CPU is pretty much as good as it can get, I think, but the RAM can be upgraded, and there is a PCI-E slot... Suggestions?

Also, I wouldn't mind transplanting it to another case, if a PSU upgrade is necessary.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Looks great for a everyday internet browsing / home media pc me thinks. Is the mobo a standard ATX or m-ATX?

3. docodine

Probably m-ATX, judging by the size of the case, but it has four memory slots, so possibly a random Dell size?

EDIT:
    I'm wondering if faster RAM would work fine. The price of DDR2 400 is surprisingly high.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034
    Price is pretty low, but I don't know if it will work. :E

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

no can do there mate, that ram is ddr2 and won't be compatible with your mobo

ddr is so expensive at the mo because there is less demand, why dont you see if you can pick some up second hand?

5. docodine

My RAM is DDR2, check the CPU-Z screen, it's a GIF.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

sorry i missed that, surely DDR400 is usually DDR 1?

anyways your best bet is to head over to the crucial website and try their memory scanner, you dont have to buy from them but it'll let you know what specs the mobo can handle

7. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

If it takes DDR2, then any speed should be fine - if your motherboard can only handle DDR2-400, then it will run at 400.

On the other hand, it may be able to use faster RAM, but you've got some old, cheap sticks in it.

Try some 533, you may get lucky.

8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

As a few people have pointed out, as long as the RAM is the same type, the speed doesn't matter. The system will run the RAM at either the speed of the slowest stick, or the maximum supported speed, whichever is lower. Grab the model number and look it up in Dell's support documents, to see what the maximum amount of RAM is. If it can handle it, go ahead and throw in 2GB of DDR2 667. For most purposes, past a certain point RAM matters more than processor speed, and that should be a nice little computer you've got.

9. tonpal

tonpal New Member

Be careful upgrading the case and psu. I have heard that Dell do not always use standard connector configurations on their motherboards.

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

dump 2 or 4GB of DDRII on it. THe 915 chipset makes a cpu upgrade worthless, so OC the hell out of that prescott and (oh wait... its a dell.... scrap that idea) stick it in the basement for some extra warmth on those chilly winter days.

11. tonpal

tonpal New Member

lol

12. docodine

I'll probably order 2gb of ram this weekend, 533 or 667, whichever is cheapest.

Thanks for the help, bit-techians. :)