1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my 9800 broken forever?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blah, 6 Dec 2004.

1. blah

blah Minimodder

Hello, I recently tried to get a fan from thecoolingshop.co.uk, it arrived and I fitted it. This is a letter I sent to them:

Hello, I recently ordered a "Titan Cooler" for my 9800 Pro. The screws
    did not fit completely correctly and so that fan did not function
    properly. My Radeon 9800 Pro is now permanantly broken and often goes
    into strange colours when in windows. I have installed the stock
    cooler and it has not corrected the problem. Please can you give me
    some advice onto what to do. I can send the Fan to you to show that
    the screws do not fit completely. Please get back in touch with my
    soon and advise me on what to do, many thanks, Alex

Would these multicoloured screens even after fitting my stock cooler suggest permanent damage? Or would it just suggest temporary overheating, it has happened in windows and in Half Life 2 (the only game I have tried) If it is permanatly broken would I get any sort of compensation? I have a shuttle SN45G by the way, please, please can you suggest me onto what I need to do, many thanks, Alex

2. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Im no expert on this, however by what your describing, its now about as much use as a door stop. :duh:

as for compensation, i suppose you could stick the origonal cooler back on an try an claim on the warrenty of the card, but your not gona get compensation from any thing to do with the new heat sink, as they are pretty much use at your own risk.

sorry 2 break this to you but your best bet is to start saving :waah:

hope this is of some use to u......

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To be honest, lots of strange colours generally means that it's buggered. A good tell-tale sign of death are either white hash or green stripes. :)

4. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

are you sure that the original heatsink that you put back on was seated properly, and try some AS5, if you already haven't, and see if that helps. Otherwise, its time to start saving :waah:

5. blah

blah Minimodder

what is AS5? The pusher pins which connect to the card are not very good and the heatsink isnt fitted COMPLETELY correctly but I have no other way to fit it as I have no more pins. The pins are kinda broken as I used pliars :( The heatsink is firm saying that though.

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

You sure your monitors cable is in fully and no bent pins?? Sounds stupid, yes, but that can cause the colors.

7. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

AS5 is a thermal paste used to cool cpu's/gpu's :thumb:

AS5 = Arctic Silver 5

8. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Check the thermal paste for no conductivity on any of the bridges round the core, AS5 is renouned for that. It could be damaged but with a lil TLC i'm sure there's a chance it's ok.

9. blah

blah Minimodder

The Pusher pins are kinda crushed so I dont think there is proper contact. Has anyone got any pusher pins for a 9800 Pro Sapphire? If they do then they would be very much appreciated, many thanks, Alex

10. TMM

TMM Modder

you can generally use any old push pins from another heatsink. Aslong as they clip in properly and have good tension ;)