1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is my GTX 670 crashing my PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhiteKnight226, 4 Feb 2013.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

I play many games (BF2, SC2, WoW, DOTA to name a few), those are the only 2 it has crashed in. Everything is up to date for bios and such. I use MSI's live update.

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I've been doing some searching, and just about every thread i come across is solved by a BIOS update. Have you actually gone into your BIOS and checked that it is the latest version? Don't rely on the software alone.

Edit: The rest of the solved threads were due to a faulty PSU or underpowered PSU.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2013
  3. WhiteKnight226

Once again you are correct. My current BIOS is from March 7, 2012. I'm a little confused on how I should update my BIOS. There are warnings on how to do it due to Ivy Bridge being compatible with my MoBo. About using ME7 or ME8, which I'm not even sure what that is. And should I install from a flash drive?

4. Nealieboyee

Yeah a flash drive would work fine. I would install the very latest version. Just download the 4.2 version and extract it. It should leave you with a .exe file. Copy that to an empty usb stick and run the exectuable. Should be smooth sailing from there

5. WhiteKnight226

I'm currently emptying my flash drive, going to download to desktop, extract to flash drive, and wing it from there, lol.

6. Nealieboyee

Extract to flash drive, and then run the executable. Lol don't forget to run it.

I also have an MSI board, and just tried it. The executable will only run if it is on a flash drive anyway.

From what I was reading earlier, it seems Gigabyte, MSI, etc have changed certain things in the BIOS for Steam games. For B/Lands 2, I believe it has something to do with the CPU threads.

7. WhiteKnight226

Yea, I had to pull the file out of the folder and run only it from the flash. It's just starting now, version 4.30

8. Nealieboyee

I find myself excited to see what happens here......make sure it really has updated by going into your BIOS and checking for yourself. MSI is a liar...... :D

Then run B/Lands and tell me its all fixed lol

You never mentioned how long you play the game before it shuts down...

9. WhiteKnight226

It varies, but it only happens once I'm in game, not the menu. One time it was like 1 min in and others it could be 5 minutes. But this only recently started happening. And has progressed faster and faster. I made it to like level 13/14 in game before this started.

I'm back at MSI's website to install drivers from the same location I downloaded bios as they recommend.

10. WhiteKnight226

Just checked BIOS, and WOW. It updated. completely new UI. Mouse is much much smoother and this is not as "glitchy." System information also confirmed the update to V4.3

11. WhiteKnight226

Just checked BIOS, and WOW. It updated. completely new UI. Mouse is much much smoother and this is not as "glitchy." System information also confirmed the update to V4.3

12. Nealieboyee

Excellent. Now.......the big moment. Lemme know...

13. WhiteKnight226

:( just crashed again. I had such high hopes. It's about 5 minutes into the game. Tomorrow I'm going to uninstall my 670 and it's drivers and put my old AMD 6870 in and see what happens.

14. Nealieboyee

You're kidding. Same crash as before? Have you tried lowering the graphic settings a bit?

Don't worry, we'll get there in the end.

15. WhiteKnight226

I pull like 80 fps average and a max temp of like 60C. Never had the thought to lower settings. Will try it though.

16. WhiteKnight226

Well I lied, It just crashed again while I was trying to lower settings in the main menu. I didn't even make it into game this time before the shut down. lol

17. Xir

Xir Modder

You have 3 years warranty on the MSI card, haven't you?
    I'd send it back.

18. WhiteKnight226

Yea, but I'm not sure it is the problem yet. I can run everything else but BL2 (and the one day of SimCity beta (which is when this started)) so I'm just thinking the problem is the game itself.

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Ring up MSI. It generally seems to be that if the Card is crashing, the overclock is too high. Lower the overclock (if there is one) and lower it's base clock and see what happens.

20. WhiteKnight226

I've uninstalled all nvidia drivers and reinstalled my 6870 along with its drivers and have been playing BL2 for well over an hour now, though with much lower settings for playable FPS. So it is the card.

Card was crashing on stock settings but I will lower it to see what happens when I reinstall the 670 and underclock it. It only crashes my PC in BL2. Which is weird IMO because BF3 is harder on my GPU.