1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Is my HSF fitted correctly - temps don't seem right

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dadoftriplets, 30 Mar 2012.

1. dadoftriplets

dadoftriplets What's a Dremel?

I have just put the finishing touches to my new build pc, comprising of an 15 2400, P8Z68V-LX and 4GB ram. After installing the OS and running it for the last few days, I don't think the hsf is set correctly as the temps are quite high, but as this is my first Intel new build (always went for AMD before this) I'm not entirely sure what the operating temps should be for these chips.

At idle, the 4 cores are showing anywhere between 35-45 and max temps I have seen is around the 60 degree mark - these are when I have been playing games, so not entirely sure whether they are from max load or not. All temps given are taken from CoreTemp 1.0 RC3 plugin.

I am used to having my pc at idle at around 28 degrees and getting no higher than 49 when coretemp showing cpou at full load.

Are these temps for the new pc anything to be concerned about? Is the HSF set correctly? What temps could I expect to see if I were to add in an all in one water cooling solution, such as the corsair H40/H60/H70 or the Antec Kuhler 620?

2. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

The temps are dependent on a few things, like air temp and the amount of airflow going through the case. What HSF did you go for? What thermal compound did you use? I would use a least one more program just to make sure the temps are being read correctly

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It does seem a little high. What case and cooler you using?

Edit: Ninjad :( lol

4. dadoftriplets

I'm using the stock intel HSF and Coolermaster 360 case, with 2 120mm case fans and a 60mm at the back.

This is thcase I have used for my pc - Coolermaster Elite 360

[​IMG]

Regarding the thermal paste, I used what was pre applied by Intel on the stock HSF, although, as I have just had to replace my brand new Corsair CX430 PSu with the OCZ one in the sig, I ordered a tube of Arctic MX-2as a 'just in case' - basically to have in my kit of pc bits.

5. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I would hazard a guess at an airflow issue. There seems to be very little space in that for air to flow properly. Remounting the CPU cooler might help.

6. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

The stock intel heatsinks a bit pants too; an upgrade there will be quieter and cooler :p

7. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I would say that you need a proper CPU cooler and some better case fans.

8. dadoftriplets

one of the two 120mm is a coolermaster one that was fitted when I received the case.

Apart from leaving the side cover off, to allow more airflow, what could I do to get air flowing through the case?

When you mean get a proper CPU cooler, do you mean something like the all in one water cooling solutions I was talking about in the OP as I was considering getting one when i have some more money. For the time being though, I will have to stick with what I have and hope for the best

9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

good case fans make a lot of difference, especially in a cramped case. i have an nzxt hu01 for my other rig, and its very very cramped, and the sound dampening foam traps heat unfortunately.

i got some scythe gentle typhoons and its working well. i recommend them.

10. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I have that case for my HTPC. Airflow sucks balls. Especially when you have 4 hd's in there.
    I was using a stock cooler and a q6600. Now using a Noctua something or other I got in the marketplace and all is good.

11. dadoftriplets

If air flow is so bad with this case, is there much point looking at other air cooled HSF's as aren't they likely to suffer as much as the current stock intel one? I thought the stock Intel HSF was fairly decent for what is essentially a zero cost product.

Again, if we have summed up that this case has poor air flow, then water cooling may be the only way to go to keep the cpu cooled to a suitable level - would a one box water cooling solution, such as the Antec Kuhler 620 and Corsair H50 be a good option for those on a budget? Can a traditional water cooled CPU setup be done for around the same cost as one of the upper p[riced one box solutions as I've never really looked into it if I'm honest (too scared about putting water anywhere near electrical goods!!!

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Well The noctua top down coolers only *just* fit and they line up quite well with the 120mm fan position on the side panel, as such they suck in cold air from outside the case to cool the CPU, which is better than using warmer air from the inside of the case.

13. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

just get good case fans and a better cpu cooler and itl be much better. the stock heatsinks arent good full stop, so even if you got a better case your temps wouldnt be much lower.

14. dadoftriplets

Those Noctua top down coolers are more expensive than a one box water cooled setup - the NH-C14 (only top down on ebuyer) is £60. Is there anywhere else where they may be a little cheaper

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

ebay?
    If you had the post count I'd say the market place as one is for sale there at the moment (I would have snapped it up but I've bought too much this month and the wife would kill me).

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just to answer the original question. I don't think those temps look bad for your configuration.

Yes, they could be improved, but for a standard HSF in a small confined case, with hot summer weather, it sounds fine to me.

My Q6600, which is OC'd to 3.2GHz, with a Xigmatek cooler, in a big case, is idling at around 35-37 degrees, with ambient temps probably at about 20-26 ish.

17. dadoftriplets

ebay is more expensive than ebuyer - £70+ excluding postage, but then they are coming from outside the UK.

What if I were to get a corsair H70 and set it up so the rad fans are drawing cold air from outside into the case via the rad? would that help? Would fitting the rad on the outside of the case be a better bet, with the fan on the inside drawing air in, through the rad - if this is a better option, I could use parts of the old case to build up the case around the sides of the rad so its a little better protected.

I suppose I am prepared to cut hols in the case to make whatever solution work - if it doesn't work, then its just a new case and a swap over at the end of things!

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Buy a Silverstone FT02 :D

19. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Is the intake fan on the side panel sucking cold air in to the CPU cooler ?

Can you add a 2nd exhaust fan in the rear panel above the IO shield ?

dunx

P.S. You could also drop the CPU core voltage to reduce heat (?)

20. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder