1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my motherboard dead ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Realiks, 31 Mar 2008.

1. Realiks

Realiks What's a Dremel?

hi

Today I wanted to start up my sisters computer. It boots normaly only the mouse and keyboard don't work. After a while the screen went black sins then I'm not able to boot the computer. If I press the start button the fan's are working the Hard disk is spinning the processor fan is spinning. But that's it nothing on the screen. :( So I went looking for the problem I cleared the cmos settings put in a new battery. Tryed new ram, removed the heatsink en reinstalled the cpu. But its still not working. The led at the front of the case stay's on. Normaly it flashes when the cpu is working but it stay's on. :wallbash:

Is the motherboard dead or is there a problem that I did not think of.

thx :)

2. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Are you using a graphics card? If not, have you tried using another computer on the same screen?

3. Realiks

Realiks What's a Dremel?

Yes i'm using a graphics card. The screen works I've tested it 1 houre ago. The computer also doesn't make anny beep sounds in the begining normaly he does that.

4. FragileSocks

FragileSocks What's a Dremel?

Have you tried the graphics card in another computer?

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

the mouse and keyboard not working lead me to think that its the board. because it was still able to boot at that point, so its not the ram, or the psu, or the cpu, or the video. Failing hard drive would mean a problem booting, but the mouse and keyboard would still work. I would suspect that the north bridge or the south bridge slowly overheated. can you check and see if maybe a heatsink is loose on one of them?

6. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

wait! your name, your country of residence ... how should I read that name? REAL-ix or REL-ix ???

7. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

lol i thought that the other day when i saw him posting too, but restrained myself from mentioning it because i didn't think i could deal with another relix thread. i'm going to predict that this thread will never get back on topic now, so i might as well ask: does that mean something in belgian for you to both choose it, or is realix just an homage to a fellow countryman? or is it just a crazy coincidence?

now for the feeble attempt to get back on topic: the motherboard should let out some beeps or flash an led or something if the videocard is dead. it sounds like your motherboard is fried to me. :(

8. Realiks

Realiks What's a Dremel?

It doesn't mean anny think Realiks I just made it up myself so its a crazy coincidence. You read my name like this: RE-AL-IX.

OT.

@Fragilesocks: Yes i've tried the graphics card in a other computer and it stil works.

@chrisb2e9: Overheated? why the darn think wasn't on for like a week why should it overheat so sunndenly? Is the board dead or can I fix it again?

@Supertoad: I aslo think its the motherboard but I must be sure.

9. chrisb2e9

how old is this computer? its rare but heatsinks do come loose or fall off. if it overheats that bad then the board is dead. not fixable. but if thats what happened then you can rma it and get it replaced. (assuming its under warrenty)
    How is ventilation? could be a combo of lots of dust and poor air flow as well.
    I'm just spitting ideas out here, we dont have a lot of info to go on. The only thing that I am fairly sure of, is that it is the motherboard. Just not sure on why it died at this point.

10. Realiks

Realiks What's a Dremel?

well It looks like my motherboard is dead. Today I've tried several times to boot but no succes. So I will have to replace a part of the hardeware because its old pentium4. The computer is 2.5 years old but I can see there is no heatsink on the southbridge. But when I put the computer on the heatsink gets hot and the south, nord bridge get hot the heatsink on he grapichs card gets hot its realy strange

what do you think about this

GigaByte P35C-DS3R
    http://www.it-service.be/webshop/product_info.php/cPath/24_179_25/products_id/1637

Intel® Core 2 Duo E4500 (Boxed, FC-LGA4, \"Allendale\")
    http://www.it-service.be/webshop/product_info.php/cPath/183_184_418/products_id/11415

G.E.I.L. 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit
    http://www.it-service.be/webshop/product_info.php/cPath/181_199_207/products_id/2336

258.54 euro

Does this fit a bit wit everything ? And Is a power supply of 400watt enough for this system?

Will the motherboard work whit this grapichs card? http://www.venditahardwarepc.com/images/scheda_video_agp_ASUS A9250.gif

change the motherboard so the card would fit

11. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The upgrade components look good, but the mobo won't fit the graphics card, as the one on the picture you linked to is and AGP card and all new boards have newer PCI-Express graphics card slots.

12. Realiks

Realiks What's a Dremel?

Ach ok well since its a non-gaming machine I think I well get a motherboard with onboard graphics :)

13. chrisb2e9

if its a non gamer machine you could always buy a used motherboard. that way you can get one that works with your old stuff and save some money.