1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Is my PSU dead?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Kamikaze-X, 17 Apr 2014.

1. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

Last night I whacked some watercooling on my graphics card. Took it out of the PC, stuck the watercooler on, then put it back in. The water cooler is an Antec 620, and it was hooked into the motherboard via a header.

Something I've done at least 3 or 4 times with no problems, not to mention swapping out countless cards without water cooling.

So I press the switch on the case, nothing. No fans, no beeps, no lights on the motherboard, just the red light on the back of the power supply staying red (it normally goes green when it turns on).

Its a Coolermaster Real Power Pro m850, its about 6 years old now.

thought it was the power button, so used my WoL app which never fails, PC still wouldn't come on.

I took the watercooled card out and stuck a fanless one in there to make sure it isnt the card (im hoping the card is okay, only just bought it, GTX 770). Again, nothing. took out CMOS battery, unplugged the PC, held power button for 30 seconds. again nothing.

Unhooked the PSU from the computer and tried the jump start method with a paperclip from the green to black wires, and nothing.

At this point, i'm inclined to say its the power supply, I'm just hoping it hasn't taken anything with it.

Any thoughts?

:wallbash:

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Could well be.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious but have you tried the fuse?

3. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

I thought it might be the fuse, but there is still the red standby light on the psu.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Oh yeh soz I read that bit too :(

5. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

just to confirm, new psu has fixed it.