1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Is Red Dead Redemption the best sandbox ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Warrior24_7, 22 May 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Nah. What I think is the average "gamer" (not as in "hardcore gamer") is an idiot that drools over anything with big explosions and hot chicks, regardless of the gameplay

2. October

October Mariachi Style

Clicky
    Nary a boob in sight, and only one lil splosion :D

Clicky 2
    Coupla lil splosions, wouldn't exactly call the chicks hot...

I think what's actually happening is that game trailers are now trying to look like movie trailers, its all about setting and story. If those are good enough, you know you're gonna have a good time playing it.

The point is to bring in the non-gamer, who won't necessarily care that you can push this button now to make something really cool happen - until they play the game.

Hardcore gamers know better, and go online for actual gameplay videos, hands-on previews etc. Afaic it's win-win.

3. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

Been playing a bit on my housemates xbox. I really hope this is gonna be a PC release because its really fun. Very Cowboy GTA but in a good way. Also has a rather clever Good/Bad system so you can go around killing and robbing trains and still have access to different things.

4. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

It may not be the best ever but it is really good even if it's only on consoles

And if rockstar do bring it to the pc hopefully its decent and nothing like their Gta4 port

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Admittedly RStar's GTA IV port wasn't too good on it's opening, but after a few patches it was pretty decent.

Look at Oblivion for crikes sake, that thing was as optimized as a leper.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I bought this on PS3, games like these play better on a console imo. Third person with a mouse and keyboard has never sat well with me and I don't feel like waiting for a possibly glitchy port just to have it on my PC.

Only been playing for a couple hours so its still in a pretty introductory setting, but I can't say I'm amazingly impressed or anything. So far I've spent half my time holding "X" to "accompany" various NPCs while they blather on to set up the story. Not exactly a great method of story telling and a bit of a let down. Hopefully it picks up later. The story also isn't too great on telling you just how to advance it, I find myself randomly walking around until I see the little yellow "X" signifying a story element/mission.

The game also feels a bit... empty. I get that it's supposed to be because of the setting and what not, but it seems just a little too bland. It's too big and open to do anything on foot ouside of town, but horses are fast enough to accidentally blow by things which might be important. I've already found myself getting a little frustrated trying to hunt deer. Often go riding up to the herd to quickly and scare them all off, then have to chase after on foot for ages so I don't scare them again or continue on horse and try not to crash into rocks while shooting from horseback at full sprint.

But all that griping aside, it is fun. The gameplay is pretty good and combat is quite enjoyable. Feels like a great mix of one man army and realism. Just enough of a gunslinging badass to feel like you're Clint Eastwood blasting through a spaghetti western, yet tough enough to make you think about what you're doing and use at least a vague strategy. The weapons are also very enjoyable and have a great wild west feel. The things NPCs say are hilarious too, adds some good humor to the bloodshed.

And like PegasusM said, it's got a cool good/bad system. Honor is your good/bad, but everything increases Fame and even as a terrible villian you'll be well known and opening up new things.