1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Is the AMD 960T a good budget cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewbaccas_nan, 2 Jan 2012.

1. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

hardcore intel then lol, dont get me wrong they are good, but the phenom isnt a downgrade by any means, especially if its o/ced, but thats just my pennies worth. On a more budget note, I would never recommend anyone on a tight budget to go intel, its simply too expensive, with amd you get affordable performance, with intel there is always another one better its like apple.

2. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

A lot of mixed reviews here lol..

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No, I just dont think its worth putting money into a mediocre phenum build. If he goes SB for a bit more, he gets much better performance and an upgrade path with IB. I agree Intel is expensive, but I dont think it justifies the price for upgrading to the 960T x4 when he's hardly got a bad cpu as it is.

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Your forgetting that the Intel chips have a built in memory controller which the AMDs lack the main difference in the results is memory bandwidth. IF they did we wouldnt be having this conversation /argument.
    End of the day both are good for gaming and both have their weaknesses. Question is to the OP what will the rig be used for mainly

5. chewbaccas_nan

Gaming. BF3, skyrim, future FPS's e.g Arma 3 etc....

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Gaming is pretty much always about the GPU, get a good enough CPU (your quad may do TBH if it clocks well ) spend the dough on graphics assuming your rig is deficient.

7. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

for what its worth, mainly gaming CPU's are ii phenom, whereas pure processing such as video editing is all intel, thats a fair assessment IMO

8. chewbaccas_nan

AoE, do you play battlefield and other more demanding games on your rig? If so what sort of settings/ frames are you getting?

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

To answer the question: Yes. Can also be turned into a 6 core. And overclocked. Plus the boards are quite cheap.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Chewbaccas_nan

Not sure what AoE plays in but i play the following

BF3
    BFBC2
    Sup Com and Sup Com Forged alliance
    Need for speed Grid
    TF2
    Oblivion

None give me any hassle even at my day to day clock of 3.5 with all six cores enabled

12. chewbaccas_nan

Hmm i see. I was wondering why the X4 9XX range has gone from scan and ebuyer and its now only the 960T

13. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Im currently playing BF3, on ultra, honestly eats it for breakfast no lag whatsoever, havent measured FPS yet but i have no doubt its around 45-60fps. As for demanding games, I play the toughest CPU dependent game there is , Flight sim x, which the phenom also has no issues with, others would say you need a 400 quid intel to run it smooth I say no a half decent phenom will do it just as well.

PS: Skyrim graphically is also piss to play.

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Don't forget screen resolution makes a huge difference to frame rate. At 1920x1080 my rig manages around 35-40 fps max. To be getting 60 you must have a lower screen resolution, easing the load on both GPU and CPU.

15. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

Mine is 1440x900 but I play it on my bros 23" also so not sure on that res size but alot bigger than 19", but that said a budget system wont have any larger than 19" or rather shouldnt lol IMO as most attention should be CPU/GPU, depending if the main intent is gaming that is.

16. chewbaccas_nan

Mines 1400x900 too

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Excellent :D Ignore my previous comment as it has been rendered moot. Move along now, nothing to see here :D

18. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

I really think that the OP's original question has been answered, of which the answer is yes most definitely a good or even better than good budget CPU for what you get in terms of price, performance and potential with regards to overclocking/unlocking. Not to close the thread up now but its apparent its considerably cheaper and performs better than Intel, taking into consideration the OP's main needs/budget. Now go get yourself a 960t before I buy em all :p

19. chewbaccas_nan

Haha thanks for all the advice! I've decided to buy a pentium 4 2ghz cpu! :p

20. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

lmao "and on that bombshell, its time to end the show" Bro whos your dealer ?:p