1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Is there a diference between Corsair XMS and Corsaid Dominator?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -Xp-, 19 Oct 2009.

1. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying bits for a new i5 based system, and have noticed that Corsair are offering what seem like two identical sets of RAM, for almost the same price, and the only difference I can see is the shape of the heatspreader!

Here's a link to the two items on Scan:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...)-240-Pin-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-9-9-24-XMP

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-...-Non-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-9-DHX#ProductFeatures

The specs are identical apart from one has a "heat spreader" and one has a "heat sink", which of course makes almost no difference to the performance of the RAM!

The kicker is that Play.com is currently offering the "Dominator" RAM for £66, almost £20 cheaper than every other retailer! However they aren't selling the plain XMS3 RAM so I can't compare!

If anyone knows of the difference, or thinks I'm making a mistake and can recommend some other PC12800 RAM, please let me know! Cheers.

Edit: Doh! Misspelled "Corsair" in the title ;)

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I believe the Dominators are designed to be overclocked. I'm not sure if anyone has ever benched the two sets side by side but I'd wager the Dominators would be able to do better speeds, tighter timings etc at lower volts.

3. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

This appears to be the general opninion, what's confusing me is why the two sets are almost exactly the same price!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im using the Dominators you've linked there. they are not designed for Intel i5 systems, so they are recommended to be running at 1.9v, whereas i5 prefers vDIMM to be less than 1.65v.

having said that, i've tested them to be rock solid at 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.6v, all 8GB of them.

the difference between XMS3 and Dominators is simple, Dominators have hand picked and usually able to be overclcoked much higher. my Dominators proved themselves by able to run at much lower than recommended voltage.

IMHO if you are building a i5 system, you should go for the XMS as it's designed for i5 system. i only bought the Dominators because XMS hasn't come out yet.

-Xp- and Geoff x like this.
  5. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

That's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

which part? which one are you going to go for?

7. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

He's going for basement blasting,... :hehe: :hehe:

8. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

I ended up going for the XMS, as I checked a few reviews and you're right about the voltage requirements for the Dominator. Plus I figured it amy be easier to find another pair of sticks later on.