1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Is there any way I can disable the safety features on an AT PS?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by disco volante, 19 Apr 2003.

1. disco volante

disco volante What's a Dremel?

I'm doing some experiments with electroplating in my basement/labratory. For a power source I decided to use an old AT power supply, and the 12v/ground leads.

The problem the arises is that when I immerse the anode and cathode pieces in the solution (composed mainly of salt and vinager :worried: ) the PSU detects a short and shuts off.

The only way I can get it to work is if I only immerse the anode just slightly into the fluid, without overloading the PSU.

Anyways, seeing as how I don't care about this PSU, or if it bursts into flames, does anyone know if there's a quick and dirty way to bypass this protection, or should I go out and get the proper equipment (whatever that would be)?

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Cheapest way is to put a current-limit resistance in series with one of the leads. For 25A at 5v 0.2R (two 0.1R in series) would do the trick, but they'll need to be at least 60W each.

The 12v line is much lower current capability and OTT for most plating.

3. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Try using the 5v.

4. disco volante

disco volante What's a Dremel?

That worked. Thanks guys.