1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good Prescott mobo? And does the 3.0E really run dangerously hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noah, 15 Feb 2004.

1. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Hey,

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-448&depa=0

I am looking to buy that board along with a 3.0E (Prescott) P4. Good? I picked it for the price, because I can't really go higher.

I am just a little nervous about what I have been hearing about the incredible heat that is developed by the Prescott. I don't overclock, but is it dangerously hot? What should I do about fans? The new case I am buying has a fan on the side window. Do I need more fans?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Personally, id hold off till Skt 775 LGA comes into effect in Q2. These skt 478 prescotts arent what they're cracked up to be. You might as well buy a northwood and save your money (and headache concerning temps), either that or an A64, but even they wont have the socket 745 (or whatever it is) for long..
    Its just not worth it with the heat hassle, and un-upgradability and problems with voltage regulators - very few mobos are officially prescott compatible.

3. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I plan to buy what I need for my new comp. in the end of May.

4. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Wait for socket939 A64s or possibly SocketT Prescott.

They should be here by may.

5. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Yea, hope they are affordable (I will have $450 to spend on the core components, CPU, RAM, case, mobo)

6. Xiliqueirn

Xiliqueirn What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I would definitely wait until the 2nd or 3rd revisions come out. The socket T prescotts should really be where it is at for Intel, and if you want to go AMD, definitely wait for the better socket 939s. Right now it's kinda like an open Beta, if you know what I mean.