1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is this a scam? Selling some alloy wheels, payment via PayPal

Discussion in 'General' started by ry@n, 29 Apr 2012.

1. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Basically I am selling a set of wheels via wheelwhore.com and I have a buyer but his last email makes me think this is a scam.

Its just the way its written seems suspicious. I don't know a lot about PayPal but im thinking if I accept his payment before his "pick up agent" collected them and I make sure the funds are fully cleared and sitting in my actual bank account before I hand over my address, I should be ok?

Any thoughts or advice on this would be great as i've never really dealt with transactions over the internet apart from the usual ebay auctions etc.

Edit: I did a quick search before posting this topic and found this:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof/more-oceanographer-scam/td-p/104606

2. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

General rule: If it looks, smells or is fishy, walk away..

Unless you're in a fishmongers.. :worried:

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

He's also using a soppy story that makes you worry that if you don't go ahead with it then his son will miss his birthday present (the guilt factor).

Who buys there son a set of wheels lol? :/

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

These things must all come from one person, I saw someone asking about a possible scam on a car listed on PH, and the email was exactly the same as that one, just with different item details and sob story. They must have 'please delete as appropriate' scam forms. :D

7. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Nope, if the person buying the item opens a claim against you and paypal decide that the scammer is in the right paypal will give the scammer their money and do every thing in their power to steal your money, even if the money isn't in your account, they will put your account into debt and try and perform debt collection operations against you. Be for warned, sellers using paypal are at the most risk because buyers are able to make the biggest stinks and win even when they have no actual evidence to support their claims, sellers are much safer using not paypal.