1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is this bloke trying to rip me off?

Discussion in 'General' started by NeiltheDruid, 9 Nov 2010.

1. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

Hi chaps,

I have sold some memory here on ebay.

All went fine but I got this message today from the guy who bought them from me claiming his item was not as described.

"hi i received ram last Thursday, unfortunately they are faulty they will not run at its rated speed these sticks will normally run to 282 these are having problems at 250 please respond asap
    thanks ken".

These sticks are rated at 444mhz. Should they do what he is saying.

Cheers :thumb:

2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Should they not be rated to run at 275Mhz (DDR550) if they are PC4400 in which case an inability to run at 250Mhz would signify there's something wrong, I'm not 100% sure though I can't say I'm that clued up on plain old DDR.

I would double check he has set his voltages/timings manually I would be certain this was the issue personally, had problems with people in the past on ebay for the exact same reason.

3. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

Yeah, it's a difficult one. I don't want to be a total p***k and just be like "well, it overclocks, so it works". But on the otherhand, I didn't guarantee any overclock, and overclocks aren't guaranteed from system to system anyway.

Not really sure what to do. :sigh:

4. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Ask what motherboard he's running, it's pretty clear it's an old one if he's after DDR, the RAM you sold is double-sided i.e RAM chips on both sides and apparently some boards when fitted with double sided RAM will default to 333Mhz, this may be the reason for his instability, in which case he would be looking for single sided RAM.

Noticed the RAM should also be run at 2.75v at stock might be worth mentioning.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Bet he forgot to drop the Hyper Transport Ratio, i always forgot that one and my board got very pissy if the FSB total went over 1GHz, 250x4, once pushed to 255x4, boom crash swear reset cmos and start again.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

If it works at stock speed, the rest isn't any of your problem. Just check he has the settings right...

Ofcourse if you feel bad about it, you could offer him a refund, but make him pay (half of) the postages.

7. NeiltheDruid

NeiltheDruid Minimodder

Like Jipa has said, I got him to repay half of the postage costs.

I decided to refund him just to avoid the hassle. I'm pretty sure it did work at stock speeds, but when I get the memory back I'll test it again and relist it if it is ok, this time highlighting that I will not guarantee any overclock.

Or I might just keep it for my own use, we'll see. :wallbash: