1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Is this CPU pad okay?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jewelie, 9 Feb 2016.

1. jewelie

jewelie Ancient geek, newbie to BT

Hi folks

Building a budget PC with assistance from Comrade_Woody for my nephew. Got a CPU from CEX (yeah, don't ask, arrived just wrapped in bubble wrap.)

Checking the bottom of the CPU there seems to be a mark on one of the pads (after thorough cleaning with IPA.) Will this make any difference? To be fair, the camera seems to make even the slightest mark really obvious (which is also why it's handy for doing this!)

[​IMG]

No motherboard or PSU yet (errr.... thanks Scan, see below) so can't test it just yet!

Julie
    x

2. jewelie

Oh yeah... this is why I don't have a PSU yet. ;)

[​IMG]

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry - doesn't look too serious. I've used worse!

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

looks like nothing to worry about, as crap as CEX is, they do test everything they get in and give you warranty.

Totally confused about your second post tho

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If you look at the right hand label it says 430w evga 80 plus cpu.

Looks like some wombat has sent her a dvd drive instead of the psu she ordered, that's what I gather from it anyway.

Edit I'm actually confused now as the bill states a dvd drive was ordered as well, maybe it's an AIO dvd/psu comob :wallbash:

6. jewelie

LOL. :D I must say, I was a bit confused when the package arrived, it looked awfully small for a DVD writer and a PSU!

Total kudos to Scan... within an hour of posting that in the scan section on bit-tech I got a delivery notification and an apologetic e-mail from a named person checking with me if delivery tomorrow for the PSU would be acceptable. Ordered all the bits for our current PC build from them (albeit on a different account) and am now very much inclined to stick with them. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how they're fixed that counts.

Regarding the CPU: phew. I normally get really paranoid doing builds. *Every*time* I convince myself I'm going to break it (experience and an aged degree in the subject hasn't helped confidence, sadly!)

Half of the reason for doing this build is to try to relax and enjoy it a bit this time (and because our poor nephew *really* needs a proper PC, bloody school requires homework be done on computers - until I gave him a netbook and his folks were able to budget for a phone/ADSL he was stuck doing homework in short slots in a busy tiny library.)

Sadly, my partner has banned me from making him a full gaming rig yet until after his GCSEs, but we can get him a GPU and headset to go with it when he's done them. :)

Thanks all for feedback regarding the CPU!

Julie
    x

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

If you have the right board you can overclock that CPU by four bins :)

8. jewelie

Haven't really thought about overclocking, focus was on appropriate price and features. We've got a Asus H61M-K coming from Amazon (new) for it.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Ah you can't do it with that board sadly. The limited overclock (X4) is only available on the turbo multi and for that you needed a Z77 board IIRC though it may have also been possible on Z68.

10. jewelie

Compared to the awfully slow Atom N455-based netbook he's been used to, it'll fly in comparison. ;)