1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Is this fixable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tsutton, 22 Nov 2012.

1. tsutton

tsutton Member

Hi all,

I have 17" Dell monitor - E173FP

When I switch it on, I can see my desktop. After 2 seconds or so, it turns itself off, but the green power button stays on. I pressed the power button to turn it off and back on again, I can see the desktop. Then it turns itself off.

What is causing that problem? Backlight faulty? Or something else?

Also is it easily fixed by myself? I don't really fancy splashing out for a new monitor if I can fix it for a few pounds!

Thanks all.

2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

It almost sounds like it is not recieving a good signal from the video card and is going in to power saving mode. Can you change the cable/test on another computer?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The backlight transformer circuit is faulty. It can't deliver current to the backlight continuously.
    Probably bad capacitor. If you know how to look for and replace the bad capacitor you can fix it, or if you can (you need to see if you can), you may be able to change the circuit board if you ebay for the part.

Else than that, if its embded in the monitor circuit, then you can't do much beside panel replacement... so might as well get another monitor.

4. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Sounds like bulging/blown capacitors. If you can, try turning the brightness right down to see if it lasts any longer.

To be honest if you're knowledgeable with a soldering iron and basic electronics then you might be able to fix it, otherwise you could replace the monitor like for like for under £20 second hand.

5. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

Double ninja'd!!

6. tsutton

tsutton Member

Thanks all, that confirms my suspicions. Will take it apart and see what I can find...

Assuming it's one of the caps, does anyone know where I can get them or would ebay is good enough?

Mechh69 - I plugged in another monitor (exact make & model) to the same video card port and it works, so it's not that. But cheers for the reply.

7. Durd

Durd New Member

Could possibly be refresh rate is set too high on the computer, worth checking before tearing it apart.

8. tsutton

tsutton Member

Unlikely as I have another same monitor and it works fine (I'm using dual monitor setup) so it's more likely to be the monitor itself.

Thanks for the reply, tho. :)

9. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

Caps from ebay will be fine- just make a note of the specs and replace like for like, or a little higher even ( voltage, mF & temp rating- usually 85°C or 105°C ).

10. tsutton

tsutton Member

Cheers, will find out what needs to be replaced - assuming it's these caps...

11. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Member

I did my monitor caps in the summer because of the same problem you have described. I ordered Japanese Caps for replacements because they are supposed to last longer - Problem Solved. Just make sure you take your time with it and remember how everything goes back together. There are guides for cap replacement on the web if you need help identifying what you have.

12. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

The two second display sounds like a blown inverter transformer. If so, it only takes two minutes with a soldering iron to replace it.

Try the badcaps forum - pretty decent group of people, willing to help. It's worth searching the monitor section, as your model is probably listed a few times, IIRC.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

13. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

14. tsutton

tsutton Member

15. tsutton

tsutton Member

Thought I'd update this... one of the work colleague do electronics, so I've asked him to take a look at it and it turned out to be a dry solder joint on one of the High Voltage component.

He fixed that up, I put it together and it works!

So no need for a new monitor... for now! :)

Thanks all.