1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this PSU still good? New GFX card coming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andersen, 5 Aug 2008.

1. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

My current PSU is a five year old Enermax EG465AX-VE. Rails are as follows.
    +3,3V 30A
    +5V 44A
    +12V 32A
    -5V 1A
    -12V 2A

BIOS shows that all voltages are quite fine and within 2% of nomimal.

Getting a 9800GTX this week and I was wandering how the Old Powerhouse would cope with it. If not, got my eyes on Seasonic SS-650HT. Good choice I presume?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It should be fine. Usually every year pass the PSU looses (a bit) some W output... but it should be fine.

3. MixWizard

MixWizard What's a Dremel?

providing youve got the necessary connections as the card requires 2x 6pin PCI-e connectors. If one is not connected, the card does not function as intended. The overclcoking features are disabled when only one connection is made. Some manufacturers includes two 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapters, but that setup is less than ideal.

My only other concern would be that the PSU may be to lower wattage

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh yes, MixWizard, is correct, you need 2x 6pin PCI-E connector. My computer won't even turn on other then the fans if both 6pin PCI-E are not connected. Video card manufacture USUALLY include 1x 2 4pin molex connector to 1 PCI-E... bu that is one, and from mine converter, its actually missing a pin (only 5 of 6 pins are used on the PCI-E converter) so I don't know if it needs AT LEAST 1 pin on either connector. In other word, don't thjink in buying a second PCI-E power converter plug... 'cause I can't promise you that your video card will function properly.

5. MixWizard

MixWizard What's a Dremel?

As i say though looking at your system specs, id say your current PSU may not have enough juice in it. The one you are looking at is a good choice although you may be better off with a modular version

6. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Get a 4850 instead. That will mean that you won't need a new power supply, and you will get a faster graphics card.

7. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Should be fine with the 9800gtx.

I do suggest an upgrade next time though.

8. Andersen

Andersen Brain for hire

Nah, I'll just get a new PSU with the card. Time to swap it for a beefier one anyway considering planned upgrades and it lacks PCI-E and SATA power connectors.

9. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

You running Linux by any chance? Just wondering why you are going for the 9800GTX.