1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Is this suitable for a gaming build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mk1Slider, 15 Jan 2014.

1. Mk1Slider

Mk1Slider What's a Dremel?

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What sort of gaming build are we talking about?

As long as you stay within its limits and don't ask it to do silly things, I'm sure it will be fine. However, it is old, and there's a reason why even the top end PSUs only get a 7 year warranty even now. It'll be tired.

I'd bung it in a less mission critical rig (HTPC for example) or sell it on eBay and grab a Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, be-Quiet or Enermax jobbie around your chosen price point. I will say that if you can stretch another tenner it'll open up your options a little more.

3. Mk1Slider

Mk1Slider What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have had the same advice from a mate actually. I've just posted a proposed build in the forum http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=266629, so that'll give you an idea of what I'm planning!

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

It's a bit light on the 12v amps, especially for modern system. I would also advise to get something a bit better, more like at least 20a on each 12v if 3-4 rails, 40a+ if 2 rails.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2014