1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is this supposed to be possible...?

Discussion in 'Software' started by RotoSequence, 3 Dec 2008.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I just got finished putting together my new Core 2 Machine (woo!), with a few recycled parts. It's got a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R, a Core 2 E5200, an MSI HD 4850 (512MB), 4 gigs of DDR2 and a hard drive yanked from a Gigabyte K8VM800M, with 1 Gigabyte of DDR and an AMD Sempron 3100+. It booted to windows XP the first time I turned it on, with the only negative to show for it is WGA demanding I reactivate for significantly changed hardware.

Is this Windows actually supposed to work like this? :jawdrop:

2. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

i think that you can change things like graphics/harddrive/memory etc but if you change the motherboard then, windows wants you to reactivate as technically it is viewed as a different computer

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Seeing that the motherboard is from the same company the driver seems to be close enough to work. Reactivation for windows is necessary but everything else should work out of the box with windows

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

you're lucky. i've had smaller changes than that give me the "verifying DMI pool data failed" message and had to reinstall.