1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Is this why nvidia is being very quiet on Fermi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barndoor101, 18 Feb 2010.

1. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

3D TV announced the other day without glasses. Not sure if its any good. Uses a 'film' of some kind sitting over the screen to enable a second image displayed.

This tech you guys call gimmicky was gimmicky when I was a kid, many moons ago. You are starting to see it take off. Hence all the cartoons of late and Avatar, next Tron 2 ... etc. Now I wouldn't want y'all to be BSing us some time in the next couple of years and changing your stories to "Oh yeah man I seen this coming I tell ya".

Let's wait and see where it goes before writing it off to the gimmicky bin eh?
    ;)

2. Nikols

Nikols New Member

Very interesting reading... Remember back in September/October reading the article on semi accurate about fermi's 2% yields and based on this and production timescales fermi wouldn't be out till at least march of this year... Nail on the head there

reading lots on the web today about ati's "1-2" punch in catalyst 10.2 and 10.3... 10.2 seperate the crossfire drivers from catalyst allowing seperate more regular updates and adds plenty of eyefinity candy while 10.3 in march supposedly brings 3D. I love this... Great to see the battle about to hot up again!

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Avatar is one out of, ohhhh.... how many has it been since the last major movie in 3D? Oh that's right, no one even cares to remember what that movie would be. It's just not that important. Yes it's fun and getting more popular, but I really can't imagine the day where everyone has a 3D TV or a 3D monitor and little glasses or films on their screens and shows/games are designed around this feature. Like barndoor said, it's just a stopgap for people to feel like things are new while we wait for true 3D displays.

tl;dr? Artificial 3D will never become widely popular or standard imo :D

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Holographic projectors Cheesecake, although I think a full sensory plug-in will be more likely(head in helmet, close eyes, open eyes-now you're in the game)

5. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

All this 3D/stereoscopic/holographic projection stuff is WAY off mainstream popularity imo, hell most of the (developed) world still hasn't gone HD yet.

Japan will lap it up of course, but it'll be another 10 years before it starts taking precedence over normal HDTV in the US and Europe imo.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Avatar is different - it was shot and designed for 3D in the cinema. It has professional projectors and projectionists. Doing it at home on media hashed with 3D as an after through doesn't yield the same results :(

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Also, having seen both Avatar and Final Destination in 3D, Avatar's graphics and 3D perspective were in a different league.

Bring that to games: a badly made game may have 3D functionality that simply gives everyone a headache. It's similar to how a 'great' game may have disappointing graphics (e.g., I read this recently).

Adding 3D is just another thing for developers to get wrong (or drivers and hardware to display wrong), and it's going to stay that way for a while I think, hence 3D gaming is still very much a niche.

8. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

3D in games? When there's an Xbox3D and a Ps3D, then we will be living in a 3D gaming world where with the right peripherals, MasterChief really, REALLY points his finger at you.

Those 3D screens that are available at the mo are 120hrz and it's that 2D refresh rate that would sell one to me... not the 3D crap. Nvidia 3D ... only if you fork out another £200 or so for all the other stuff you need to make it work.

As for Nvidia's Fermi ...in my honest opinion, Ati's 5850 is going to be the best and only card (sensible? cheesecake) for the next 12 months. If Nvidia wanna sell some cards... take the Ati/PhysX block off your drivers and sell the cards you can make to those who have a card but want that PhysX experience Nvidia won't open up to all.

9. Nikols

Nikols New Member

Ps3 gets a software update later this year for 3d. Not arsed with changing the telly tho.. A sitting room full of people in goggles... I think not , and i think if I was caught wearing a pair in front of the computer that'd be it she'd kick me out, I'd never be able to disguise that upgrade!

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Damn, i thought watching blu-ray films on my PC with a pair of Sennheiser headphones was normal behaviour! I also own a stand-alone blu-ray player but don't use it as much, as i don't own a decent enough sound system :)

11. Snuffles

Snuffles Dreamy Mammoth

3D is still gimmick status. Realistically it should be pushed in the monitor section instead of the graphics card section, since it needs certain monitors to do anything with it. The only person that Ive met that owns such a setup gets headaches when used for more than 2 hours. Eye cheesecake on a single monitor of my choice that doesn't cause my brain any undue stress is what matters.

2 shops that i buy my parts from have disassembled their 3D setups due to lack of interest.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2010
  12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

13. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

So Charlie is saying nVidia openly lied about their chip's performance, that the GF100 does not have a working DirectX 11 implementation, and that it's a GPGPU that can't game. Every single article he writes brings up how Fermi is too hot, too slow, and too late - all while citing his "sources". The benchmarks we've seen are all cherrypicked/false/skewed, because nVidia actually doesn't know how to design chips and is screaming at its engineers to fix problems.

Sounds reliable and truthful to me. Especially considering his history of impartiality :rolleyes:

14. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

no one is saying Charlie is impartial (probably not even himself), but an article doesnt have to be impartial to be right ;)

15. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

All i know is my wallet is humping my leg like a jack russell, waiting for a better range of cards or some price drops. And after the xmas steam sale ive got 2 years worth of gaming to be done.
    Maybe its time to fit a lock on the study door?:idea:

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes unfortunately the way it's written overwhelms what is written. He could be a great journalist otherwise. Ho Hum, each to their own. :) We'll see.

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'd REALLY like to know where the Charlie/nVidia hate/hate relationship stems from... Still, I think his bias aside he does write some pretty good articles with some good technical background.

On another note, has anyone noticed how Fuad from Fudzilla.com has done a complete 180 and become the biggest nVidia fan out there? As it stands nVidia can do no wrong in his eyes. Very odd, considering how pro-ATi he was at one point. One generation of ATi cards was even named after him (or rather his nickname, Fudo).

18. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

i was gonna bring this up - fudo and charlie complement each other (not literally though), so if you read both, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

He does tend to go OTT yet he has been pretty much on the spot reguarding fermi. Didn't he predict back in october/november that we wouldnt see anything until at least march? I still take what he says with a pinch of salt but so far hes the only source we've got.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wouldnt we all! :worried:

To be honest, it wasn't an unheard thing in the industry at that point. Well, as far as our ears went. Even now it appears to be later March than earlier..