1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Is trespa (HPL) suitable for a case mod?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by morbid_looney, 7 Jun 2015.

1. morbid_looney

morbid_looney New Member

Hi there,

I'm in the planning and designing phase for a scratch case mod that will look like the old Connection Machine II supercomputer.

Here is what I have on SketchUp so far:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u79aedb63-31c9-420a-9759-2559f8b1e477

I was thinking of making it out of trespa HPL but I don't see a lot of modders using this material (or any at all) so I was wondering if there is a reason for this and If so, which material should I use?

PS, A lot of parts will be cut using a water jet cutter and other stuff (like the back of the PC) will be milled.

Thanks for the help!

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

HPL is a mixture of paper and epoxy. I cannot see why it shouldn't be a suitable material for a case. I have ordered MFG Crosswind flight pedals in the same material, those are cut on a CNC 3 axis mill.. I don't know what will happen on a waterjet with HPL..

3. morbid_looney

morbid_looney New Member

Thanks for the response, waterjet will not be a issue for HPL or most other types of wood, I have worked with them before and I prefer the sharp (low radius) corners it gives compared to milling.

Anyway, I have done some more research on HPL and apparently I has a bad expansion coefficient.
    This can cause problems for me so I will probably use MDF or HDF instead.
    This can also be cut very well using a water jet cutter:
    https://youtu.be/wyPLRmpdyXQ