1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos ISO 25,800...

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by NzC, 2 Feb 2009.

1. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

So I took my D3 to the Super Bowl party my Boss has every year to get some fun pics and to play with my new toy. The image below did not have in camera noise reduction, but I cleaned it up with the free version of Noiseware. However I also punched up the exposure on some of the foreground. That area was just illuminated with the TV glow. Not perfectly clean, but pretty good considering.

[​IMG]

Just thought I would share a real world application of the high ISO instead of an actual test.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Bah :/ Anything over 400 on my 350d and it looks like red, green and yellow snow is falling. :(

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

really, i can shoot with an ISO of 800 on my 400D with no problems, 1600 is dodgy, but i tend to convert most images at 1600 to BW

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

yeah its newer thats why ;p
    my 300d ftl ;)

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

That is not bad for that high of an ISO. My extended ISO goes up to 3200 on my 40D, and it does get a bit grainy.

Thanks for sharing.

:)

6. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Yeah this is the HI 2 on my Nikon which is just pushed 2 stops from 6400. The clarity and detail at 6400 boggles my mind though. I have already shot a lot there. Stuff I might not have shot because I hate being obnoxious with a flash in public places.

7. DeMoB

DeMoB All of my Dremel wheels are broke!

High ISO performance like that is something I crave. I really have to stop myself drooling over cameras like yours though as I fear I wouldn't use the camera enough to justify the cost. Maybe one day I will :lol:

Dan

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I think that looks more like film-grain than the generic, infamous colorful sandstorm that you usually get at ISO over 400... Would like to see the original pic though.

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Look at a Nikon D300. Fraction of the cost. 95% of the ISO performance.....Nay, 95% of the overall performance.

Tbh though, I'm 99% ready to pull the trigger on a D3 and a 70-200 to pair with my D300-17-55.

Just need to one more job to pay out........Damn you, Max factor!.....

10. Vers

Vers ...

Don't let the wife talk you out of it :hehe:

11. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Here is the link to the original JPEG right out of the D3 (I record in RAW+JPEG so this has nothing done to it). Its big FYI...and also, I agree that was the biggest thing I have noticed it looks less like noise and more like grain. That is especially true at ISO 1600-6400.

IMO, it is a great investment. To me the big viewfinder and the 300,000 shutter cycle rating is almost alone worth it. Also today I shot some dance in the theatre and the focus tracking on the D3 is damn good. I have heard a few people complain about it, but they must be doing something wrong because it seemed fantasic to me. It was very often able to stay on a face (if I started with a face on the focus point) and it never focused off of a dancer to the BG. With the 70-200 it will be great. I love my 80-200/2.8, but sometimes I lust after the VR....I dont have that steady of a hand.....