1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO 6722-1 certified wire for custom PSU cables

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LePhuronn, 27 Nov 2019.

1. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Active Member

Hi there.

I was having a look around for some decent wire to make up custom PSU cables because the prices from established modding and sleeve suppliers seemed somewhat inflated. I found a great price for 50m of 1m^2 cross section, 1.92mm diameter stranded wire, same spec and dimensions as the MDPC-X 17AWG stuff.

In my haste to grab the last roll of black, I didn't fully read every spec and it's ISO 6722-1 certified wire for road vehicles, which is rated for 16.5A but "only" 60V. That's not going to be an issue is it given we're only working with 12V max in computers?

Have I gone done a bad or will this wire be fine?

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've just had a quick look at the ISO spec and it seems to mention single rather than multi stranded wire for the spec for SO 6722-1.

0.75mm² is sufficient for most PSU wiring jobs with the exception of Molex/SATA cables with a high load in which case 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² (roughly the metric equivalent of 17AWG or 16AWG) might be more appropriate.

I used to buy my 0.75mm² wire from Farnells at a reasonable price.

3. Xlog

Xlog Active Member

It will be fine, the wires you bought, in general, will be higher quality/rating than the ones used in PSU in the first place.

single core =/= single strand (solid).

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Active Member

Thanks both. The wire I have is single core - as in there's only one wire - but that core is multiple strands. It basically looks like MDPC-X's expensive 17AWG wire without the tinning.

5. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Active Member