1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows ISO or VOB

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bumfluff101, 25 Jul 2010.

1. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

When ripping DVDs (using Slysoft's CloneDVD) are there any advantages to ripping either to one ISO file or loads of Vob files? I use XBMC which playsback both.

Thanks

2. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

If it plays both, I would be inclined to rip to .ISO's...just think it is neater...
    ________
    SuperShow

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah usually stick with iso.. there's a lot of different formats but that's used by everything on the pc

4. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Thanks for the imput, will stick with the iso

5. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

An iso is a disc image. VOB files are the video files (along with the other files) that make up a DVD. For playback purposes you probably are better with ISOs as its one file, and you could always use a virtual drive if you wanted to access the VOBs anyway. The VOB files would come in handy if you were to convert the video to another format.

6. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I use VOB files, mainly because Handbrake and Badaboom read them when I want to create MP4's for various devices...

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

It's really all down to personal preference - there's no real advantage of one over the other.

I prefer to use VOBs, but only because every player out there reads them without needing any additional software.