1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Isolate the OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord-Vale3, 23 Sep 2010.

1. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Hey guys, I just got a new 1.5TB drive, and am creating some partitions.

I have been using in the past just a 500GB drive, and what I plan to do is repartition this drive, keep the OS on the 500GB drive, and put all the programs on the 1TB drive.

What I want to do is resize the c:/ partition on the 500GB drive so that it only holds Win7, create a new partition for the rest of the 500GBs for data, and have 500GBs of the 1.5TB for a backup partion and the rest of the 1.5TBs for storage.

The question is: how do I split up my 500GB c:/ drive, so that there is only a 50GB OS drive and the rest is for storage, and how do I separate all the rest of the data on the drive to the other drive?

I don't want to lose my data/programs in the process.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Type "disk management" into the start menu. You can edit your partitions there.

What you want to do is shrink the partition that's already on there with your files, and then create new partitions on the newly unallocated space. If one partition is bigger than you want but can't shrink it due to the files on there, you move stuff around temporarily. It's like one of those sliding puzzles.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2010