1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Issue when installing graphics card - BSOD/freeze

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by vaderag, 5 Oct 2022.

1. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I've just purchased a refurb machine (this one) to replace an old machine that the motherboard died on and is serving as an Arcade machine.

The needs are pretty low, hence the cheap purchase, but I'm trying to put my old graphics card in there

Again that's old, but working, an MSI geforce GT 740

Seems drivers are still supported (with some caveats) on the nvidia site, so I've downloaded and installed

No matter what I do, when it finishes the driver install I either get the Video TDR Failure nvlddmkm.sys and a bsod or it just freezes and reboots. Sometimes it fully reboots, sometimes it freezes at the windows logo

I'm at a bit of a loss where to go now, I've removed the drivers and reinstalled both in normal and safe mode, but always end up at the same point

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Have you got a different graphics card to test with by any chance?

3. vaderag

So since posting I think I've resolved it...
    Was just about to rip out the card, give up and order another and I noticed there was a second PCI-E slot on the machine

I had it in the 16x one but plugged the card into the 4x one and it seems to be working

No idea why the different port would make a difference

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

It shouldn't, unless there's a fault on the main slot. If it's working though, the issue probably won't spread unless it's an issue with the PCI-E lanes themselves which would mean new board and processor time in my opinion.

5. vaderag

Hmm... this was intended to be a new board and processor for another computer who's mainboard broke...

Is there any way to check the PCI-E lanes?

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Given the age of the HP PC, make sure there's no dust or debris in the PCI-e slot. You might be plugging a PCI-e 3.0 card into a PCI-e 2.0 slot, but it should be ok I think. Perhaps check if your motherboard has any bios updates.

7. vaderag

Thanks

I gave up on the machine in the end after much troubleshooting and sent it back