1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Issue with one of my HP ZR24w's

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dullonien, 7 May 2013.

1. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

One of my HP ZR24w's has developed a fault. On the edge which sit's next to the other monitor a stain like mark has appeared running the height of the monitor. This has developed completely on its own accord, and first appeared just over a week ago. At first I thought it was something on the screen, but on closer inspection I could quite clearly make out remnants of text as if it had been burn't into the screen. The problem area coincides with where my layers properties window sits while I work in AutoCAD and I could quite clearly make out the names of the layers which matched the document I have recently been working on. There were also remnants of my photoshop layers window as well, although much more feint.

Looking online I came across a possible solution which involved running a screensaver switching between solid white and black screens every 6 seconds. I have allowed this to run over night on a couple of occasions which has significantly reduced the presence of the text, but the large stain like mark remains.

Here's a couple of pics of what remains:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Any advice on a possible way to fix the issue? I purchased these monitors on the 17/09/2010, so as long as HP have a 3 year warranty I could still get it replaced hopefully. There is something on their site about not covering image burn-in though! But this looks like more than image burn-in, because nothing would create the stain like mark. Almost looks like a couple of the layers which make up the screen are coming apart?

Finally, if I can get it replaced, does anyone know if these screens are being produced any more, and if they are has there been a revision change? I'm a little worried that if I can get it replaced it will no longer match the other monitor I have in terms of image.

Edit. Just checked on the HP website, and I have HP HW Maintenance Onsite Support until 9th of October. Anyone dealt with this onsite support, what's it like?

Last edited: 7 May 2013
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

I don't know what the problem is. However, I do not think these screens are made anymore - I have a couple on one of my sites and one of them was broken recently (user accidentally pushed it over, and then a drink somehow went on it as well - computergeddon it was horrible) but I had to replace it with a different model as I couldn't get any of these.

I have always found HP to be great with support etc though, get it raised with them asap http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

3. dullonien

I'm not sure I could live with mismatching screens:blah:

Any chance they'd replace both? :naughty: Yes I know, highly unlikely.

Edit. looks like they've replaced it with the ZR2440w, which looks similar but with LED backlighting, would it mean both monitors would look different?

Last edited: 7 May 2013
  4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

that's the screen I replaced it with - except they wanted a bigger screen so I got them a ZR2740w I think it was from memory.

I think, though you will probably have to wait for a monitor pro like GoodBytes to come along to answer whether or not it's different.

They are still a lovely monitor, I doubt HP will replace both (They are nice, but maybe not that nice :p ) - so maybe sell the working one and buy two of the new LED ones? those ZR screens that aren't LED are MASSIVE round the back, the LED ones are a lot smaller round the back.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

To me, it looks like water stain. A friend parent once cleaned the monitor with water... too much water. In fact she used a kitchen sponged, I kid not, and water went inside the the sandwich layer of glass that forms the LCD panel, and dried, but, because it was tap water and not distilled water, you saw the exact same stains that you see.

If that is the case, next time, please don't clean your monitor with a sponge filled with water. in fact, don't use a sponge at all ;) j/k of course (unless it's true.. then I am not kidding)

To answer your question. Yes they will look different. Color and whites will have a tint of blue. White LED's are actually light blue, like those LED flash light, the good ones, are more white and have a with a layer of yellow or white phosphor to balance the color, but its usually still visible that its a blue white color, especially if you have them side by side to a non white LED back-light monitor.

6. dullonien

No it's not water damage. It appeared out of the blue and I haven't cleaned my monitor's in months and months. When I do clean my monitors I have special monitor wipes. They are similar to wet-wipes, but contain alcohol which dries almost instantaneously.

I found this thread of someone having similar issues, but no explanation or image about whether they got a replacement through warranty.

I'm a little worried now that HP will think the same, and not believe me when I explain that this is not the case. Hopefully they know another reason as to why it would happen.

Edit. Does anyone have any idea how much the other monitor would be worth second-hand if I were to look at replacing that to match?