1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IT departments want skills, not qualifications

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Dec 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats not news, thats just people wasting good money on pointless surveys!

I'm doing a sandwich degree because its the best way to get experience, even though I already have tech support experience, VBA experience, hardware experience and the experience from my course. Currently I'm doing PHP/MySQL/CSS/HTML (never touched them before my placement) which will look good if I goto an employer and say "This shows how quickly I can pick up knowledge".

The course itself has a 20 week project in the final year, rights are owned by the University I believe but we can still use that in our portfolio, the same goes with the animation degrees.

3. TheEclypse

TheEclypse New Member

Survey is pretty much stating the obvious.

Doing the literature review for mine now, fun fun. Not sure what its like at your uni, but if you come up with an idea you want to sell, with mine they usually let you do it, but will probably take a small cut.

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

It's the old catch 22, you can't have the job unless you have the experience, and you can't gain the experience unless you have the job.

5. Nova

Nova New Member

I saw this first hand when my dad relocated and looked for a new job. Computer support tech, hes middle aged with an associates degree and 5 years of work experience. he doesnt look that good on paper, but the experience really helped. good to see more companies being told this, and applicants.

6. kye

kye New Member

Hardly any jobs like this in Bath, so i have my IT qualification and lots of home experience, but right now im looking up for a cleaning job, lol.

Kye.

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

bah, turning a hobby into a job either gets you a job you love or a hobby you hate.

On topic though - I know several people outside of IT that have Never had a resume but I've also seen more than one great person (tons of experience and great references) not even get an interview because the selection people couldn't get past the fact that his resume didn't meet the format they liked.

8. ohdarklord

ohdarklord New Member

I could have told you this

I left college in september and ive desperatly been looking for a job but every where wants experiance and most dont care about quilfactions.

9. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering New Member

I personally have found that not having a degree has put a bit of a ceiling on my IT career. I've got to the point where I'm senior support for a smallish company, but all the jobs that would take me up a notch in salary all expect graduates. Still, it's not all bad - I'm doing a BSc Math through the OU and paid for through my training budget :)

Experience is crucial in the IT sector, but I wouldn't dissuade those thinking of doing a degree first. Ten years down the line, chances are that you'll have a better job than if you hadn't studied.

10. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

The other issue of course is that so few people are prepared to start at the bottom. Claiming you can't get an IT job because there's nothing out there is surprising given I know of many companies which would happily pay 9-11k for a toner changer/box shifter/cabler type. There's plenty of those jobs because no-one wants to do it!

The problem is that just because they know how to fix a PC people expect to come into the role doing desktop support instead of starting at the bottom and working up. I'm not going to hire someone with no experience to support 120 PC's but I'll happily hire them to run round the office doing the jobs anyone with half a brain can do and let them prove themselves.

That's always how experience based careers work, you take the worst, lowest paid job you can in the industry and advance.

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Active Member

No IT qualifications or experience (appart from self taught stuff over the years) but still managed to get my job as an I.T technician :thumb:

It was just a bit of luck really... my employer was in need of somone asap and my mum put in a good word as she worked there, got an interview then started next day (all on my own for first month looking after 4 servers and about 200+ work stations :worried:). I worked on a trial basis for a few months and then was offered the job, even after they had done tons of interviews for the position.

I've been there almost 2 years now :)

12. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Sux being 1st line but for 16k and knowing i oculd stay for a year then go to london and be getting 25k+ as junior 2nd line..........

13. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Yeah, qualifications only get you noticed in the resume stack, but not much more. Ive known people every certification imaginable, and had no idea what they were doing.

It is always what you can do, not what papers saying what you theoretically can in this industry.

14. masteroffm

masteroffm New Member

of course there is always that old adage "it is not what you know, but who you know" having a former aid to US President Regan on my resume as a reference definitely didnt hurt me in my job search a little over a year ago

15. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly New Member

My degree has helped me quite nicely. I think the problem is people expect to get a job for just doing the thing. Do the degree, do relevant work during the summers and you can't lose.

16. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Member

I was always taught that a degree is just a piece of paper on the wall that says, "I can be taught and learn to play the game" Experience is always a priority for hiring someone, rather than a 'raw recruit'.

17. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark New Member

"work experience or taking a voluntary position with a charity, small company or even just writing proof-of-concept and open source websites and programmes."

does modding count as 'experience'? :p

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What I took from the survey results is HR people saying "we want people who can provide tech support to the morons who work here". They want someone who can solve the problem and not beat the poor, stupid fool who caused it, rather than someone who can design a new system from the ground up.

19. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

In a way it seems quite worrying. People go to University/College and spend thousands of dollars and then can't get a job because someone that didn't spend those thousands of dollars for the job? I mean, it's good that it can work like that, but it's also bad.

20. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I'm sorry, but it's got to be said...

That crab is just SO CUTE!

And no, you can't really compare a college educated person with an experienced professional. In some areas, the experienced guy has an edge. In others, the college guy has an edge. Different opportunities are available to each. You can't learn brain surgery by experience, and likewise you can't learn how to deal with people from a textbook.

Tags: Add Tags