1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster It got Screw(ed)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thunderfox5, 8 Feb 2005.

1. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

What? Good job? Any half-brained, un-ethical idot can go into a shop and say 'I buy, it no work'...

I have to to say though, if you people are so stupid not to turn off your computer before jabbing around inside (without the skill/luck to carry it off) you deserve to have the whole thing go up in smoke, though then you will probable try and claim for all of that too...

2. Longtalltechsan

Longtalltechsan What's a Dremel?

Oh jesus, get off your soapboxes. You actually think when you return something defective to a store they get ripped off? If that were the case, every receipt would say "All sales final!" I used to work at a large retail store and anything that was broken by the other or other fault, it was taken back and sent back to the manufacturer. The store doesn't lose a dime! Even in this case when they said they didn't carry the brand anymore, $50 says they still sent it back and got a refund.

3. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

So it's just the manufacturer that's being stolen from then.........

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Actually, they put around 10 cents of parts and 50 cents of labor into it, and ship it back out to other RMA's.

5. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 What's a Dremel?

[rant]
    Actually, you're wrong...When a product is returned to a store, and it is discontinued by the store, 99% of the time it cannot be returned to the maufacturer. I remember several times this year when people returned crap that we stop carrying (I work at Staples), and when that happened we were forced to put it on clearance as "damaged" or "opened" at a loss to us. In some of the worst cases, we have to actually spray-paint and toss the item. I don't care if you people think that no one loses out here, because what you're doing is still unethical. Why don't you get down off your soapbox and stop trying to justify doing something wrong.

[/rant]

Sorry bout that...I'm in a pissy mood tonight...

6. _lumpy_

_lumpy_ What's a Dremel?

7. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

First off who is to say what is right in wrong. If you look at fables liek robin hood who is considered "good" who was stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Same can be said here kid is poor store is rich. dad is robin hood :hehe:

Second have you ever looked at the books for a retail company, my guess is no. They have already speculated that there will be X amount of dollars in loss for the fiscal year. Each store is diffrent so there is no set number to this estimated loss. So in actuality the company doesnt loose anything persay.

Now my mindset is who takes the larger hit when item is lost. I say it is the person with less money. 200 dollars to me is alot, but to a store with a gross income of millions it is nothing. Therefor company can afford to throw away the item but for me it would mean no food for the rest of the month. (yes i know a video card is not a matter of life and death, but you see where im going with this).

You guys are making it seem like becuase he did this we are all going have to pay 100 more dollars for anything out of that store so they can compensate for the loss. I think you guys are blowing this out of perportion. Just let it go, it will not effect you in any way.

JEEVES

oh yeah, OP you are still moron for sticking a screwdriver in a turned on computer.

8. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 What's a Dremel?

[monologue]

Alright, maybe my last post was too wordy to convey my main point. I'm not saying that what he did is going to cost all of us. In fact, I'm really not even that concerned about a store or a manufacturer having a loss. Here is my point: WHAT HE DID WAS WRONG, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. It's the same example as before. If you bought a car, and accidentally destroyed it in some way, would you expect to be able to exchange it? No. And even if you could, you're taking advantage of the system. IT'S JUST WRONG. I don't understand what it is with some of you people; You seem to think that it's ok to do things like this. What have your parents taught you? For some of you, obviously not the right things. I'm just saying that he screwed it up on his own, and should take the consequences on his own. Now I'm done talking about this, and I won't post in this thread anymore.

[/monologue]

BTW, @ JEEVES, I'm the bookkeeper for our store...

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

No, cards cost a lot more than that to make. An unprocessed 300mm wafer costs about $500 at the rate they are purchased (craploads at a time), worth 5-6 times that when processed, not to mention the millions that go into the machines that make them. Figure in how many chips could be stuck on a wafer, multiply that by the % of good chip yield, and divide that by the cost to purchase and process the wafer. That covers just the GPU. The memory is another fairly pricy part. The other misc components are relatively cheap but the cost of the card isn't nearly as low as you think. Labor is much more than that too.

I can't say I've never worked in my comp with it on, but I don't anymore for this reason. Although I agree that it's a wrong thing to do, there's still the point that the loss of money is very very low.

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You make a good point Firehed. The point still being, it's usually not unrecoverable to the manufacturer. A destroyed part to us can be loaded in a $10,000 dollar diagnostic machine, completely tested, and fixed with a few simple caps or chips.

Oh, and @ JEEVES, the dude is not Robin Hood...Robin Hood isn't even a real person...

:lol:

11. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

I just think guys like this are why the rest off us who live with our mistakes have to pay so much more for everything because the companies have to make up for the differance when these morons "beat the system." thats just not right. your not beating anything, just screwing over the rest of us.

12. thunderfox5

thunderfox5 What's a Dremel?

Hey many of you are getting it all wrong... No one said what I did was right, and no one also said I felt good about it... If you really wanna know, I DON'T!!!

If you are discussing about whether someone loses money or not, let me tell you... This way, they still got their refund, for mailing back the card, but what about those high-end gfx cards, like X800 that never get sold, and the shop just loses thousands with them? The card only cost me 40 bucks, so the shop had to buy it to the manufacturer for even less. You are making a big scene ou of this...

About my father, yeah, it was him who solved the problem, because it was him who bought the card, so the purchase proof was in his name...

And yes, many of us have done something like this, without caring (at the time, at least) for ethical purposes. Every time I go to a LAN Party, if all of the people in there started telling each other this stories, you'd see almost everyone did it at a time... Doing it does not mean you feel good about it...

13. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Yes, but without being an a$$, didn't you foresee the consequences of doing so? I think all the "naughty boy" rants have gone on long enough now, you've learnt a lesson or two (one of which is turn off the power!) and that's the end of that.

Keep modding mate, that's what we're here for. :thumb:

PS: the 'scene' is about ethics, people always argue like this about morals ;)

14. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Thats like trying to put a fire out with gasoline :duh: .

15. jc.com

jc.com What's a Dremel?

Well that makes it alright, then, doesn't it! :wallbash:

Jeeves might also like to reconsider his use of Robin Hood as an analogy. Leaving aside the fact that he didn't exist, the point about the RH story is that he was fighting on behalf of a group of people (the poor) who were being oppressed by the Sheriff of Nottingham (the rich). I don't recall reading anywhere that thunderfox5 was being oppressed by the store he and his father ripped off. (You might also argue that someone who can afford to buy a video card cannot be defined as poor, even if it doesn't make him a member of the same club as William Gates III)
    Jeeves asks the question "who's to say what's right and wrong?" - the simple answer is legally and morally, this was wrong. :eyebrow: :sigh:

It wasn't the graphics card that got screwed!

Last edited: 4 Mar 2005