1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's OK (again) to sell used software...

Discussion in 'Serious' started by cjmUK, 6 Jul 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

...in the EU. But will that mean Steam/Origin/GFWL/Ubisoft/etc will take notice and provide us with a means to trade our games?

What about Microsoft (and similar)? Will we be able to transfer OEM licences?

Will the US follow suit, as predicted?

Broadly speaking, the ruling means that, under certain conditions, you have something akin to 'ownership' of the software. It's obviously a hell of a lot more complicated than that, but it's the first chink of any size in the armour of publishers of various products.

Linquage

As much as I think that we should be free to sell our licences on to other people, I can't see any sea-change in behaviour coming on. This interpretation of the law hasn't reached the US and many other jurisdictions yet, and I suspect most companies will be able to stall long enough to think of a Plan B to plug the gap.

It would be nice to think that one day we can sell on our licences for any DRM-limited material, such as music from iTunes, but again, I suspect the publishers will adapt faster than the law.

2. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

dassault systemes eat your hearth out!

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Becuse we don't have other topics covering the same.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ True. Can you guys move the discussion across please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.