1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News "It's sad that kids learn about music via games"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Jun 2009.

1. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Who?

2. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

As for the comment Jack White had, it's difficult to hear all sorts of music on the radio, when you have no control over what gets played. It's even more difficult if you live in a region that's not terribly diverse in culture, so the music that does gets played is only chart toppers for the masses (99% of which is garbage music). GH/RB give people a way to experience new music, given that the content is diverse and robust. I personally have found at least a dozen bands that I listen to now on a regular basis, just by playing Rock Band. I cannot say the same for most other venues for music.

As for Jimmy Page; I find myself perplexed. He comments negatively on the talent required to play a video game, when compared to the real instrument... but seems to neglect that most people who enjoy these games, do it for a challenge. Not everyone can be a rock star, and live a life of fame and fortune. Heck, I've grown infinitely more respectful to musicians that play these challenging instruments, just from the fact that it takes me a while to even play them on a game. In most cases, I can't imagine the real thing to be any easier, so I applaud the effort given to make the sound in real life. Also, it's kind of hard to comment on people replicating your music... when you're completely stingy and never let any of it be used in media or in entertainment, without miles of red tape.

3. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

I"m pretty baffled by the initial statement. I first heard classics like the Barber of Seville and the William Tell Overture while watching Bugs Bunny cartoons, and later went on to learn to enjoy classical as well as other forms of music including Country, Pop, Rock, Ska, Reggae, Punk, New Wave, and Jazz.

I like the White Stripes, but I don't consider it great music. It's just pap, er, Pop. Cute drummer though.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well rock will never be like it was in the late 70's early 80's.. I mean those guys were pushing the limits of what a guitar could do and inventing.. I mean eddie van halen was a freaking genius of his time imo.. and randy rhoades before he died was also one of the greats- to watch their fingers on a guitar was absolutely mind boogling.. it was just a different time :D

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Well he has a point, I remember in like 4th grade we had a music class and we would learn about music and instruments but I noticed most public schools have dropped education about music which is pretty sad but hey if kids are learning through games then lets make game with a little bit of fun education in them at the same time, sorta like hey you just learned something without knowingit lol.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

tbfh, it should not be a shock.

Unless you ask someone already in the know you're not going to get a decent response.

The fact that most of these games are 'spanning the decades' in music means it should be no surprise that people are hearing (and arguably playing along to) songs with band names attached.

It is kinda disappointing that they can't research like we can/do.

It's more depressing, to me, that I'm agreeing with Jack White.

7. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Like everyone said: Who cares how you hear it? I learned about A Perfect Circle through Underworld. *shrug*

Also: If you're signing up to be part of the game you're bitching about then just STFU-GTFO. Seriously. Its. just. that. simple. (They would fit into Seether's Fake It song quite nice, tbh.)

8. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

Wow.

No really, wow. I can't tell how many times I've walked into a Guitar Center (as a bassist) and seen kids picking out guitars and showing a genuine interest in playing them.

So what if people are discovering music through video games. Hell, it's better than the radio of yore...I'd go so far as to say that people are getting more of an idea about how difficult music is to play. It's sad to hear Jack White and Jimmy Page say that. Both are talented musicians, but something has to spark a person's interest in new (to them) music so why not have it be an interactive video game?

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think people are missing the key phrase in this quote:

Most of us already know that records labels and "the industry" are, by and large, completely out of touch with how people access and enjoy music these days. Even without GH and/or Rock Band, they'd still be out of touch - I don't think that GH was around at the same time as Napster all those years ago.

Besides, others have already made my point - why does it matter how someone finds out about your music? You get a new fan and you & your label still get the royalties from it - everyone wins.

10. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

GH and RB is just another way for record companies to generate revenue streams for music that is essentially old. They can't go on releasing the same old Greatest hits albums from artists of yesteryear so they have to find alternative ways.

Would I have liked "Wings - Band on the run" before I played it on GH? yes... did I hear it elsewhere before playing it on GH? yes...

I can't honestly say that GH has proved to be the the only place that I've discovered music/artists that I've not heard before. As Tank Rider points out, I've found loads of new artists from Mountain Biking videos such as the New World Disorder series (Blackalicious and Slightly Stoopid spring to mind).

I heard White Stripes music on the "ol wireless" way before the likes of GH.

11. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I can't even manage that, sober at least.

12. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

Little known fact, it's the booze that powers the awesome when playing GH/RB.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

i hate when clueless people have the luxury to speak publicly and actually get exposure. Too bad they don't notice they look like asses

14. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

I think what a lot of people are missing from the two comments are you have to take into the age of the artists. Since White is the younger of the two it's easier to just focus on him - his stance is generally that of a person who is nostalgic and reminiscing about his own childhood. He obviously is depressed by the change in technology and feels that the way (perhaps) that he was exposed to music is superior than the way kids are being exposed today. It's an attitude of someone who is getting older. Simple really.

I applaud games like GH and RB - anything to make the obese youth of today get up and do something instead of sitting on the couch, eating crisps and watching Hell's Kitchen should be a plus.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's sad that kids discover lo-fi through The White Stripes, too, but what can you do?

16. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I believe that they should stop crying and appreciate the extra exposure.
    bands like GnR, Led Zep are (much as this saddens me) Has-Beens. My "baby brother" (he's 8) has no cooking clue about who slash is... nor has he ever heard Led Zep.
    Seeing that the musical environment we live in changes with every day, i find it great that oldschool rockers still get a chance to shine in the new world, and get their music noticed by the kids.

Let's face it: how many bands have I personally (as a rock/metalhead since i can remember) picked up from radio play? The last i remember is Kittie... and that's only because there was one show that played my kinda music. Nowadays, i didn't know that "all summer long" was a song by Kid rock until i bought the KR album (yesyes... guilty pleasure of mine). Whereas when i play guitar hero, i hear bands like Anoukh (sp?). A band that i knew existed, but had no idea what they sounded like... Same with various other songs from guitar hero.
    Hell, i found what is now one of my all time fave bands (A7X) through playing Need For Speed. I sure as hell can't see what's wrong with that. It's another form of distribution, and from a quality perspective, as well as the level of interaction with the song, it beats the crap out of Radio/TV.

For that matter, i know i relate songs to moments/scenes in my life. As such, i have painful memories to Enrique Iglesias (long, sad story... don't ask), Dislike the way i feel when listening to SOAD, and when i hear A7X's Blinded in Chains, my mind goes back to racing a Gallardo with the cops chasing me... good times.

Tags: Add Tags