1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant It's started! [Arachno-warning]

Discussion in 'General' started by Zinfandel, 17 Aug 2010.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't know what kind of household you keep, but there aren't any preying mantises, lizards or birds in my house.
    Completely agree. Wasps are like ants - an aggressively expanding species, rather than a balanced one. They just exterminate other things and move into their land, and attack things without provocation, and - oh.

[human guilt]

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I was referring to Lira's Mantis comment. Makes me want one. They're awesome anyway but sparrows, chameleons, etc. would probably be just as good.

Hmmmm. Are you insinuating that wasps are actually the American Military? (i jest)

3. boiled_elephant

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The common huge-arse house spider? Shared a shower with one this morning. That is to say, I didn't check the bath before getting in and firing up the shower. It was only after rinsing off the shampoo when I looked down and saw the king of the spideroonies.

Okay, so nothing that compares to the average Australian house eating spider, but it was big enough to have been reading a copy of the Financial times whilst smoking a pipe before I went all Waterworld on it's share listings.

I think it even made disparaging remarks about my lineage before being caught in a glass and flicked out the window. Spiders are real buttholes.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

speaking of wasps, has anyone ever seen those ?

[​IMG]

I see them once in a while and they look very cool. It might not be the exact same specie but it's metallic blue just like the one above

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Don't sleep with your mouth open.....

7. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I loathe wasps. I either flee or kill them. Electrified tennis rackets have disturbingly little effect on the blighters though, it's like they've pre-emptively evolved to be resistant to electric shocks, normal flies drop dead at the slightest touch of it.

Spiders are alright, they kill flies which are just irritating but their webs drifting in the breeze or at head height are damned annoying.

8. boiled_elephant

C'mon, this is bit-tech. Buy large RC car battery, mod electrified tennis racket, receive high-voltage black-'n-crispy bacon.

dragontail likes this.
  9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I would attmpt to destroy them but personally the last thing I want is angry wasps.

Nothing is worse than Yellow Jackets, not even the huge great big hornets (well perhaps the Japanese ones are, remind me never to visit Japan).

Spiders are awesome although they still terrify me.

10. boiled_elephant

Found another tegenaria last night, running across the hallway. Picked it up, had it run around on my arms for a while, didn't try to bite me. I think most spiders only bite defensively, if they're constrained or hurt - like if you grab one of their legs or hold them in a closed hand.

I've always wanted to keep/breed tegenaria, because they're awesome and quite easy to handle but big enough to actually be interesting (unlike most British spiders). Only problem is, I'm fairly sure they need a TON of space and would probably kill each other instantly if kept together.

Although that in itself would be awesome to behold, in a sadistic kind of way - 20-on-20 no-holds-barred spider brawl. I could host a party and take bets on them. Hmm...

11. Shabing

Shabing What's a Dremel?

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

They're all Hymenoptera

13. boiled_elephant

They should all go back where they came from.

/shakes walking stick

14. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Everytime i even see this thread in the general category it makes me look up just in case :(

15. boiled_elephant

I'm not going to allow this thread to die while I'm still finding two spiders a day running around the kitchen. The *******s are everywhere, it's ridiculous. Also, for extra lulz, two tegenaria got jiggy in the door frame and there are now tegenaria spiderlings EVERYWHERE. So this winter they're going to be coming out of the woodwork - literally.

Saw this in our porch, too - a spider orgy.

[​IMG]

They're forming second-generation separatist communities. They'll be after my job next.

16. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Had about six or so in a couple of days last week, nothing since then... Long may that continue!

17. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yeah I'm looking around anxiously now... This time of year every itch IS A SPIDER CRAWLING ON ME GETITOFFGETITOFFGETITOFF.

I used to be genuinely terrified of them, I would either freeze or run out screaming.

I caught one in a glass and left it in my room for a while and kept looking at it and eventually had it on my hand. I let that one go! I don't really mind them now, always get rid of them if I see one (through the window) but don't kill them or scream anymore!

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

burial at sea and a golden shower.

either that or fire.

hate the ****ing things

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

My venus flytrap has caught quite a few spiders and wasps.. I love that plant I really do!

Oh and check under your pillow before you go to sleep if you don't like spiders. I do it every night, and on average I find a couple every year. They don't survive long..

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Had a spider about 3-4cm in diameter crawling up my arm this weekend. Felt something tickling me and assumed it was a mosquito, went to go swat it and saw that eight legged monstrosity staring right back at me. I looked it straight in its beadly little eyes and I swear those eyes said to me "I'm going to ****ing murder you". Took everything I had not to scream like a little girl, thankfully managed to muster up the courage to flick it off and play it cool without needing a new pair of underwear.